Kunekunes

More
11 years 1 month ago #27268 by Sande
Kunekunes was created by Sande
Hi
I have two lovely Kunekune pigs about 6 months old. They have taken a liking to digging up the paddock! Can any one tell me what I can do to stop this? I'm thinking my only option is have ring put in their noses. Who can I get to do this? I live in Sefton area.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Sande

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375992 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Kunekunes
Welcome Sande :)
welcome to the LSB cyber family :)

Um i would guess Vet can ring piggies or if someone close to you that can help :)
i have Petie pig ( 3 year old Kune kune boar) and he is not ringged .. and doesnt dig at all :) ... yeah guess i am lucky
Have 2 "girlfriends" Olive n Audrey there with Petie at moment ( they are grove owners friends pigs) they are ringed ,, guess am also lucky that no one escapes with normal 7 wire fences and no one is digging :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #376376 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Kunekunes
Hi Sande - Andrea may be along soon, she lives in Oxford, and she might be able to tell you who does thier noses. I have 7 Kunekunes at the moment and only one has a wee dig but not enought to bother me, I find they make more mess on the soft ground with there feet.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #376385 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Kunekunes
I haven't had to ring my pigs as yet (have had them for 7 years now), so I don't know where to suggest, sorry. Maybe start with one of the local vets?

The smaller an area to which they are confined, the more likely they are to dig/root, but I still haven't struck that, even though I have confined my boars for the first time in 7 years (because I don't want any piglets before spring, and the sow rules the roost, so to speak). The 3 boars are on about 1/4 acre, get fed twice a day (baleage and about 1 cup barley each) and haven't been digging at all. They've been in their area for going on 4 months now. The worst they've done is pug up a small area by the gate when the weather is really wet, and then of course they have their wallow area which has expanded a wee bit because there are 3 of them using it...

More
11 years 1 month ago #378399 by naturaljules
Replied by naturaljules on topic Kunekunes
I have the same problem. We bought a lovely wee Kune Kune, Zinny, and he never dug and is just so personable. Then got a girl, Coco, to be his friend. She is horrid, has taught him to break out and also how to root up the ground. One night they got out and rooted up a 3m x 3m patch of the front tennis court style lawn. Not impressed!! I am trying to sell her at the moment, she picks on him and she just doesn't "fit" with our family of animals. She is about 8 months old. I am thinking of getting the vet to ring Zinny so that he can wander without making a mess.

Ten acres, 4 feral kids, 1 equally feral husband, 1 anglo arab mare, 1 SB gelding, 2 roaming roosters, 2 8 month old kune kunes, 1 blue merle border collie, 1 "pig dog" aka softest puppy on earth, 1 long haired black cat with white bib and socks.... adding to this list all the time....

More
11 years 1 month ago #378459 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic Kunekunes
The legendary Miss Piggy ( not a kune, but a feral got at 500 grams) got grumpy at times, more-so at "that time of the month". She had to go when she had a go at the dog for no reason at all. Even though she had 3 little rings in her nose she still dug, after the wound had healed.
At 6 months you will probably need a Vet to help you do the job.

More
11 years 1 week ago #380759 by kimandruss
Replied by kimandruss on topic Kunekunes
HI Sande, looks like your options are limited! either limit to an area you don't mind being dug up (we electric fence ours - one low wire) - and rotate - great ground breaking for next years spud crop) or ring them. Make sure if you do decide to ring get a recommended vet - if have seen some one have a horrible experience ( done by a vet ) on this web site

Kim Russ Hannah(five and a half),Angus (3 and a half should have just called him bull)Arapawa boar Kune cross arapawa piglets Barred rocks mixed mongrel hens light sussex hens and rooster orpington hens and a rooster, tank the holstein steer, scungy the jersey steer (just never did as good as the...

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds