Rookie Hobby farmers !

More
11 years 1 month ago #27248 by firefly13
Hey everyone :-)

I have been reading this forum for about a year now as a guest and now that we are starting to get down to more nitty gritty details thought it was time to join in properly.

My hubby and I are in the process of buying 10 acres on paper, 8 acres in usable reality in Upper Hutt which will be a 20 year dream of mine finally coming true.

I own 1 lovely horse - which may well end up being more, and we would like to add some chickens into the mix aswell.

I would just like to say that this forum has been invaluable for information on water tanks / fencing / tree planting and general animal care - so THANK YOU to all those knowlegable lifestyle land owners out there helping us rookies out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375787 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Rookie Hobby farmers !
Welcome

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 1 month ago #375826 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Rookie Hobby farmers !
2 acres of "unreal" land. We have a lot of that too, where public roads have been put on the land that we pay rates on, and where the previous owners did not put a fence they erected on what has turned out to be the boundary. When we bought, I had the survey points of the subdivision shown to me by the surveyor, which was extremely useful. Unfortunately I wasn't able to work out the road boundaries, or the one right up the back, so that has led to later work. This "unreal" land has been a source of amusement for me, but The Manager gets really concerned that the fences aren't in exactly the right place :-).

More
11 years 1 month ago #375831 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Rookie Hobby farmers !
emm seems we all have alittle 'unreal' land.. apparantly there is 2 acres somewhere at mine too :D

More
11 years 1 month ago #376918 by firefly13
Replied by firefly13 on topic Rookie Hobby farmers !
yeah its funny how that turns out - our virtual 2 acres is made up of the driveway and a long access way which leads to a small chunk of river and tree clad hillside - we are quite happy though as it means that our block was considerably cheaper than the true 10 acre blocks that have been floating around for sale in the area (10 is the minimum division size) ... and at this point I only have 1 horse ;-) lol

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds