Hi from a new lifestyle backyarder!

More
11 years 1 month ago #27227 by Leslie_NZ
Hi all,

What to say... fairly new to the home owning lifestyle let alone being a backyard flock owner but managing to get there!

I always wanted a couple of little chicks to range around the backyard and finally my husband gave in and we got 2 little Wynadotte chicks... which later turned out to be roosters. :( Being an urban backyarder they couldn't stay and one was thankfully re-homed while the other matured later and met an untimely end and ended up in a pot :(

But alas we had been bitten by the chicken bug, and after my mum had a broody Hamburg that decided to attack her first hatchling, Which I of course adopted (a 1hr old chick with peck marks on its head), and she had to have a mate (of course!) and then our new little flock became 4, consisting of a Hyline and Hamburg chick, a 2 month old Wyndotte (rooster) and a 2 month old Houdan x

One thing led to another and we removed the Wynadotte, and then bought 2 silver spangled Hamburg chickens to replace him. leaving us with 5 little girls :) and we had to extend the chick house so they could roam a little but still be safe from the cats and dogs. Free Ranging in the afternoons with the other animals locked away, much to the delight of the neighboring school kids who stop by to peer through the fence at them.

So thats us!

:)

Leslie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375560 by spoook
Welcome Leslie, looks like you have been bitten by the chook bug. It only gets worse.
There are some very attractive chickens out there, then there are ducks, then there are goats.............. the choices just go on. You fall in love each time. [:I]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 1 month ago #375575 by Leslie_NZ
Thanks! at least right now we have only limited space.... I can just see my husband and I buying a lifestyle block... and the other animals will become a new obsession.... he wants ducks, I want pigs... and more chickens! :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #375583 by The dream
Welcome Leslie. I am a backyard lifestyler, at least until we sell our place and get our bit of dirt. We have 2 Silkie x's and a brown shaver who roam around our back yard

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds