I just joined from Dijon, France

More
11 years 1 month ago #27209 by lavalette
Hi anyone who reads this. We've just brought a little house with a big back yard... 2 acres and I'm due home next week to move into our place. Only seen it on the net!! has 20 chickens and 5 sheep - don't know what kind and 7 little lambs - they could be big now?? Looking forward to becoming a little more self sustainable.I love the outdoors, and all that it offers. Been glued to this website and all the information it has and can't wait to learn about a new lifestyle I am about to embark on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375393 by MooandPop
Awesome!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #375394 by sod
great stuff sounds like lot of fun :) :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 1 month ago #375426 by kaybe
Congratulations and welcome to the site! I imagine your lambs should be big now (if they are not already in the freezer!) as they are likely to have been born Jul-Sept of 2010.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375431 by Seaside

kaybe;367988 wrote: Congratulations and welcome to the site! I imagine your lambs should be big now (if they are not already in the freezer!) as they are likely to have been born Jul-Sept of 2010.

Dijon, being upside down (to NZ) would have spring lambs born in Feb-April, so unless they were last year's or born at an atypical time, they should still be cute and boinging.

It has taken me over a decade of living in NZ to get used to having spring in the autumn months.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 1 month ago #375484 by kaybe

Seaside;367993 wrote: Dijon, being upside down (to NZ) would have spring lambs born in Feb-April, so unless they were last year's or born at an atypical time, they should still be cute and boinging.

It has taken me over a decade of living in NZ to get used to having spring in the autumn months.

As I have lived in both hemispheres I'm fairly OK with working it out. [;)]

From Lavalette's heading "I just joined from Dijon, France", and then her location given as Hamurana (near Rotorua), together with her mentioning that she is due to return 'home' shortly to a property she bought sight unseen over the internet, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that her LSB is in New Zealand. It wasn't clear but that seemed the likely scenario. :)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375510 by Seaside

kaybe;368051 wrote: her location given as Hamurana (near Rotorua), together with her mentioning that she is due to return 'home' shortly to a property she bought sight unseen over the internet, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that her LSB is in New Zealand. It wasn't clear but that seemed the likely scenario. :)

Doh! I didn't notice the location under her username. Indeed, you must be right and her lambs are boinging less and looking rather tasty. [:I]

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 1 month ago #375598 by Aria
We stop for the lovely walk through the Redwood trees, past all the trout and to the Hamurana Spring every time we pass through Rotorua. A very special place - stroller friendly and you only need about an hour to do the loop trip from the carpark.

Great location!

More
11 years 1 month ago #375609 by lavalette
Ah yep, we're from Rotorua but been living in France for 4 years. I go home for NZ summers.... Husband coaches rugby here. Our dream was to always buy some land and it's finally come true!!. So, I'm off home to sort out everything and quickly learn alot about looking after a big backyard with some animals and fruit trees. And it dawned on me that I couldn't go galivanting round the countryside or the world anymore....having responsibility for animals and all - that our daughter and her family have kindly offered to stay there and look after everything and have all the fun!!!! until we return home. But, i think I'm going to like it so much that I'll stay in NZ until after Xmas

More
11 years 1 month ago #375610 by lavalette

Seaside;368078 wrote: Doh! I didn't notice the location under her username. Indeed, you must be right and her lambs are boinging less and looking rather tasty. [:I]

My girlfriend has a racehorse farm??? is that what you call them??? in Kaharoa, Rotorua, and I just phoned her this morning to tell her the news that we're going to be "neighbours" and told her how included in the purchase were some sheep and lambs - she told me that they'll be right for eating now....!!! and do I want to borrow?? their ram when I get home???
here I was thinking...."I'll just ease myself into this new lifestyle"....

More
11 years 1 month ago #375640 by LongRidge
If the male lambs that are ready now were not turned into wethers as lambs then they will have done the job on their mothers and aunts, and you will have more lambs from about August onwards. So check their sex and testicles as soon as possible, so that someone can care for the ewes in case they are pregnant. And kill the female lambs soon, because they will be pregnant too if their brothers were rams.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375683 by igor
Nah, let them lamb as hoggets. If they're big and well developed enough to cycle they should be okay then you get more meat later.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375705 by LongRidge
Hogget lambing does work for some people, but we have a hellish time doing it ..... and it is no fun for the lambs or mothers that need helping. If lavalette is experienced enough and is there to help, then there would be not be too many animal welfare issues. But unassisted dystocia is a welfare issue and thus anyone allowing it/responsible for it should get prosecuted.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds