Big hello from Upper Hutt, Wellington

• TBird
12 years 9 months ago #27204 by TBird
Hi All

Have been loitering for a while and thought it was about time I showed myself and registered.

We moved earlier this year from a 1000m2 section in Karori, Wellington to a 2 1/2 acre slice of paradise out in Whitemans Valley. This was the fulfllment of a lifetime's dream - or at least the start of it.

And besides, we think the suburban negihbours were getting a bit tired of our growing menagerie: deaf cat, arthritic dog, a one-eyed rabbit, 2 lazy but noisy kune kunes, and a clutch of chooks (plus now a rooster). A friend said it sounded like 'Animal Hospital' until I pointed out that the animals were all fine when they joined us :)

Aims?
First 6 months to just get on top of the basics - the grass, the hedges, the fences, the water, the septic tank, etc as the place has great bones but has slipped a little in the period before we bought it.
By next summer to have the veg garden up and productive - poly tunnel here in pieces and wood for beds ordered already.
Then after that, it would be great to expand the growing to bring in a bit of extra cash and add some variety.
But above, all to remember that we are living the dream and to enjoy the doing rather than be weighed down by the list of things to do.

And a big thanks to Kate for managing the site and to the regular contributors who make the forums so lively, useful and friendly. Looking forward to making my own contribution, however small, now that I'm a member.

Best wishes to you all

Tim [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #375313 by stephclark
welcome.. love the menagery.... i have much the same collection.. blind cat, renal failure cat, lumpy cat, ADHD dog, horse with so many faults i cant list them all and the chooks...brain deficit :) .. makes for an entertaining life..

More
12 years 9 months ago #375315 by Thunda
Welcome T-Bird I am also in the Wellington area and newly moved to a LSB. Enjoy the first year as I am sure it will be filled with alot of learning and fun. So far I have had my dog stuck down rabbit hole (had to call the fire dept) and 32 year old horse wandering down the road (rescued by neighbours - phew!) never a dull moment.

• TBird
12 years 9 months ago #375320 by TBird
Replied by TBird on topic Big hello from Upper Hutt, Wellington
Thanks Steph and Thunda

You are right - every day I learn something new.

Yesterday the pigs were free ranging and discovered the pea straw in the manure heap still had some dried peas in it.
The pigs are no longer free ranging.
The manure is no longer a heap.

:D

More
12 years 9 months ago #375353 by Aria
Welcome TBird - lovely intro - we've been on our block (first time LSBers) for over a year now. Funny, that "list" never gets shorter! But it's wonderful with each little improvement you can tick off it! :-)

Have fun.

More
12 years 9 months ago #375359 by Jen - Featherston
warmest welcome T-bird :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 9 months ago #375395 by sod
Hi and welcome Whitemans valley is a great place I'm sure you will have lots of fun there

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 9 months ago #375477 by BHGS
Yes hello and welcome. I like to hear of people making the move from suburban to something a little bigger. Its something i hope to do sometime too. :D

Cheers
Hilary,
Just me, partner and son, suburban backyard chooks (3), cats (2) veggies (variable) and weeds (eternally thriving)[:p]

More
12 years 9 months ago #375780 by firefly13
Hi T-Bird
We are buying a bare block just up the valley from you in Mangaroa - that whole valley is just lovely so I cant wait to be finally out there. We have been through the rigmarole of selling our urban house and now are renting in Upper Hutt whilst we get title and then build the small shack, which is all we can afford ha ha (tents were an option at one point) ...

I look forward to learning about looking after the land with you guys too - above all have fun ;-)

More
12 years 9 months ago #375828 by LongRidge
We've been LSBing for 20 years now ..... and every day we learn something new. For the first time we are trying to get a Toggenberg doe pregnant so that we can milk her in spring. I'm not exactly certain that this will be a fun experience .... :-)
And we are trying to incubate chook eggs in a cardboard box under a light bulb. Teaching the dogs and the cats that chickens are not for them to play with will be a fun experience, if we get any chicks .....

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds