Hello from a back yard in Auckland

More
11 years 1 month ago #27165 by Lindeggs
Hello everyone, I'm Lindeggs coming to you from a suburban back yard! In my yard I have six pullets who (with a bit of luck) will lay some eggs one day. [;)]

I've loitered around here and read a lot of useful info about chicken-keeping, but never registered because obviously I don't have a lifestyle block. But the chicken advice and other handy hints have finally overcome my resistance and I've decided to join in some of the interesting discussions.

So I hope you will accept a Lifestyle Backyarder, and I will see what handy hints I can collect and scale down to fit into my tiny plot. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #374958 by MooandPop
Welcome! What part of auckland? My wife and I escaped the SUPER city last year. Great to hear that you are using your section! far too many don't ever bother but still go on about ge foods, factory farming, price of vegetables......

More
11 years 1 month ago #374963 by Animal Crazy
Welcome! I agree so many could easily have a few chickens. I have learnt heaps in the last week.

More
11 years 1 month ago #374964 by Lindeggs
Thanks for the welcome, MooandPop (great name BTW).

We're in Sandringham. People keep saying "ooh you're lucky - so close to St Lukes!" But I can't think of anything worse than living near a giant Shopping Maul!

We certainly don't make best use of our urban backyard, but I'm hoping to change that over time. It's really difficult because we're renters so it's hard to make long-term plans when you know that sooner or later you're going to have to abandon your garden with all its carefully tended soil and plants. :(

In the last place we lived the landlady told us we weren't allowed to have a vege patch because she thought they were scruffy and unsightly. Instead we had veges in containers on the deck and she tried to make us get rid of those too. [:0]

So when we moved we carefully chose somewhere very scruffy where the landlord doesn't care what we do. The downside is that he won't fix the leaking taps, half the light switches don't work and we had to clean mould off everything when we moved in. But the upside is he really doesn't care if we dig up the backyard for veges and have a bunch of chickens scratching on the lawn. (Not that he knows about the chickens.) :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #374972 by Andrea1
Welcome! :) Keep in mind, a lot of us started with just a backyard section and a lot of big dreams. There's an amazing amount you can produce in a small area with well-organised space.

More
11 years 1 month ago #374979 by Lindeggs
Hello and thanks for the kind welcomes. I thought I already replied in this thread but it seems to have got lost somewhere... I'm sure if my earlier reply turns up somewhere else the mods will sort it out for me! :confused:

We live in Sandringham, horribly close to the St Lukes Shopping Maul. :rolleyes:

I can understand why a lot of city-dwellers don't make best use of their back yards. As renters we can't make long term plans for the gardens and it's inevitable that sooner or later we are going to have to move again and abandon all our hard work. :( I've lost track of how many times I've set up gardens, worked on improving the soil, planted all sorts of things then been given 42 days notice to move out. It can be very disheartening.

In the last place we lived, the landlady told us we couldn't plant vege gardens because they were scruffy and unsightly. We planted veges in pots on the deck instead, and one day while we were out she came and took them all away and hid them behind the garage because she didn't like the look of them! [:0]

The place before that, we had a garden but the landlord subdivided and plonked another house on the back of the section so all our hard work of building up the soil was wasted.

But now we've moved to a place where the landlord doesn't seem to care what we do. The downside is all the gutters leak and nothing has been maintained for years. The upside is he never comes near it and doesn't even know about the chickens yet! [;)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #375118 by igor
Hi Lindeggs. Welcome to the site.
I've been on both sides of the rental thing and I know both can suck but in different ways. When I was loooking to rent in my student days one potential landlord told me "no compost heap" so automatically got blacklisted. Then in later years when we had a spare house with tenants in it and a land agent supposedly looking after it (we had told them no animals at all) we did a snap inspection and found a horse and two dogs living in a two bedroom villa on 300 sq metres. A neighbour told us later that there had been two horses there for a while. The carpets stunk of dog piss and the ground was pugged to hell by the horses. The only good thing about the whole experience was that a few years and a few tenants later we got an offer on the property when it wasn't even advertised for sale and that enabled us to buy our LSB.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375176 by Lindeggs
I totally agree Igor - there are as many good (and bad) tenants as there are landlords. With the state of this place when we moved in, the landlord should have kept the previous tenants' bond and used it to pay a cleaning company!

We found this place through a real estate/letting agency and they were awful to deal with. They put huge pressure on us to hurry up and move in because the landlord wanted us in and paying rent immediately.

Later we discovered from the landlord that he had planned to have the place cleaned and some basic maintenance done. But there was no time because the agent told him we were in such a huge hurry to move in!

Of course none of that was true - the agent was lying to both of us just so she could get her commission faster! [:0]

The rental market in Auckland is just as awful as they say. Dozens of people competing for any decent rental properties. It allows unscrupulous agents to get away wilth all sorts of dodgy stuff.

But anyway we're here now and hope to stay long term (although that's what we said with the last two places). I'm loving being able to have a garden again, and the chickens are a real bonus. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #375179 by stephclark
welcome Lindeggs

nice to have you join the crew here.. good to see you doing your bit on your back yard.. go the urban chooks!.. brilliant animals, eat the scraps, fertilise as they go and they give eggs..and mine a excellant rotary hoes in the garden.. ( ok the veg seedlings take abit of a beating.. but hey, no weeds ! )

have fun :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #375188 by Lindeggs
And don't forget their entertainment value! Yep, love my weeding, scrap-eating, manure-making little buddies. And will love them even more when I can stop buying eggs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #375196 by greenfingers
Welcome Lindeggs!

I lurked and occasionally posted on this site for a few years before we aquired our dream block. Sadly I had to leave our beloved fruit trees in the city when we moved out here - they were just starting to have big decent crops too. Oh well, I get to plant lots more fruit trees and give them the space to spread more!

Have fun with your chooks, we got ours at 16 weeks and are eagerly awaiting our first eggs sometime in the (hopefully!) near future!

GF

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
11 years 1 month ago #375364 by Homesteader
Welcome. Reminds me of the place I used to live in England. We lived in the middle of a housing estate in a big city with a matchbox garden back and front. Luckily we were an end of terrace house so one side boundary and the back boundary were lovely high brick walls. I managed to keep 3 chooks which did not do too much damage to the plants - a few strawberry plants, flowers and a lawn. Then we had 3 peach call ducks and they bred, then we had lots and the neighbours started complaining about the noise of the ducks, not the chooks!! Female ducks being the loudest!! They ate all the plants and all the lawn went, but I enjoyed having them all none the less. Now I have heaps of room to play with. :)

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds