Hi everyone

More
12 years 9 months ago #27144 by Jen- Maromaku
Hi everyone was created by Jen- Maromaku
Hi,
Im new to the forums, we are moving to our large lifestyle block( small dairy farm) on June 1st at Maromaku, Northland. We currently grow alot of our vegetables, our own meat, eggs, milk, make butter etc and are looking forward to growing an orchard and trying cheesemaking etc. Looking forward to reading posts from people with similar interests.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374772 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hi everyone
Welcome Jen! Home cheesemaking goes on in our kitchen regularly and the cheese is fantastic! We very rarely buy any these days - a bit of tasty for a particular recipe, perhaps. The freezer still has a large store of Mozarella from last year's milkings and there's Camembert, Haloumi (sp?), and Feta always around at some stage of their processing. It's lovely having your own produce.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374794 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Hi everyone
Hi Jen, its cool to 'meet' other like minded folks out there trying to be self sufficient too. I am not entirely sure where Maromaku is, but it must be close by somewhere[;)] (will google it).
Hope the move goes well.....

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374868 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Hi everyone
hello Jen, you are just over a small mountain from me, not far as the crow fliys, but by road there is a mountain goat track! Maromaku is famous for producing the Going brothers...(rugby) and the LDS church....a nice little dairying valley halfway between Whangarei and Kawakawa.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374883 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Hi everyone
Welcome, Jen -- there are a lot of cheese makers here, so hopefully always someone around to help. Home made and homegrown is always the best. Enjoy your new life!

More
12 years 9 months ago #374900 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi everyone
Last I heard Sid Going, ex North Auckland rugby rep (was he an All Black too?), was a bishop in the LDS church. I think most of the Going family up there are LDS.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374905 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Hi everyone
yes he was an all black.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #374924 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi everyone
Thought so TKF. I was pretty young when the Going brothers played for North Auckland so I wasn't sure. I can remember the big parades through Whangarei before every Ranfurly Shield defence though.

More
12 years 9 months ago #374951 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi everyone
The Goings farmed some pretty good land, but it was on the flats near Hikurangi and used to flood very badly as far as I recall.

There were some other good All Blacks from up north too, like Peter Jones for instance

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #374990 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Hi everyone
Stikkibeek the Goings farmed at Maromaku. I flatted with Super Sid's sister. Three of the brothers made it to super status. There is still a lot of the family in the area . There is an indoor equestrian arena on one of the Going farms. Olympic horse Ready Teddy came from there. Just some trivia..... :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #375024 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hi everyone

witheze;367493 wrote: Stikkibeek the Goings farmed at Maromaku. I flatted with Super Sid's sister. Three of the brothers made it to super status. There is still a lot of the family in the area . There is an indoor equestrian arena on one of the Going farms. Olympic horse Ready Teddy came from there. Just some trivia..... :)

Ah yes, I couldn't remember exactly how far north they were from Whangarei, and at 12.27 this morning :confused: Hikurangi was the only place I could think of. [:I]

I used to ride with the Northland Hunt back when Blyth Tait was still riding Flash.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #375029 by Jen- Maromaku
Replied by Jen- Maromaku on topic Hi everyone
Well with that all sorted... now I just need to sort out transport up for the horse ( anyone know a good company who moves horses for a 3 1/2 hour drive) cows, equipment/machinery. House stuff all sorted thankfully as it was getting late to book a truck so we were lucky. Oh and then packing and the dreaded cleaning, sorting out kids new schools etc!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds