goat fencing

More
13 years 3 months ago #26992 by allamanda
goat fencing was created by allamanda
what is the current cost of fencing done by a contract ?
Do they work on an hourly rate, by the metre ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #373405 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic goat fencing
The rate will depend on where in the country you are, as it varies greatly from one island to the other. We are charged by the hour here, last time was $65/hour for 2 men and tractor, and they work really well and fast together, and do a really nice job. That's Nth Canterbury, near Oxford. For a goat fence, hot outriggers are really important to keep them away from and respecting the fences, especially if they have horns, but that's an easy job that you might want to take on yourself to save some $.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

More
13 years 3 months ago #373406 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic goat fencing
There are a range of options for containing goats - and a lot depends on the individuals you're wanting to contain. Some animals need 7 or 8 wire and batten, some will stay behind 5 wire electric, I've even heard of some that would stay behind 3 wire electric fences keeping them out of market gardens. We've just introduced Boer goats to our property and have them behind 7 wire fences (3 wires hot). We bought them from a property where they were fenced in with 7 wire/no batten/no electric fences so were reasonably confident they'd be easy to keep behind the fencing we had.

Prices and rates will vary by region, and will depend on ground contour and soil conditions. As a fencing contractor, I'll quote either a per metre rate, a contract price, or an hourly rate. If it's a curly job - for example -rocky, a lot of deflections/strainers, short runs etc - I'll estimate but I'm reluctant to put a fixed price on the job - up here in Whangarei you can have some sites where you can spend ages trying to get posts in the ground, and really struggle driving strainer posts (I've had one that took 45 minutes to drive 1.2m in the ground).

More
13 years 3 months ago #373435 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic goat fencing
Our goats need netting to keep them in. They know that they have 1.2 seconds between electric fence shocks, so they don't worry about 7000 volts because they move quickly. With the stay-tight deer fence they pushed the upright wires apart and then squeezed through. Other times they just push hard at the bottom and lift the wire enough to crawl through. The problem with sheep netting is that if they have horns they can push their head through, but not get it back out. If I were re-fencing for goats I would use pig netting (smaller gaps between uprights than with sheep netting), with an electric outrigger.

More
13 years 3 months ago #373439 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic goat fencing
My choice is Alpaca fencing. I do not like any type of electric netting with goats that have horns, and won't use it here, so dangerous if the goats horns are curled they go through easy enough but are caught. get your fencing right and goats are a joy to own.

More
13 years 3 months ago #373477 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic goat fencing
I would also bulldose the fenceline so that there are minimal humps and hollows to make the fence looser in some places. That makes pushing under more difficult.

More
13 years 3 months ago #373484 by allamanda
Replied by allamanda on topic goat fencing
thanks for your feed back.
I'm 25 mins north of Auckland, flat land.
Been reading up on goat fencing........so.....many options!
[8]

More
13 years 3 months ago #373487 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic goat fencing
Higher than normal fences are also required.

I just had to cull 2 does from the group as they would just walk up to the fence and pop over. Using the post top as a spring board. The fence is an 11 wire mesh with an additional 2 wires at the top. These two were also adept at wriggling through any tiny gap caused by uneven ground and slipped through the old in need of repair 7 wire barbed road side fence with complete disregard.

I watched one one day run uphill to the gate and fly over it - 1200 high hmmph...

My hand reared goats are less adventurous, so the tamer they are the better in my books.[;)]

BTW these were meat breed goats brought in specifically for rearing for the freezer.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 3 months ago #373491 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic goat fencing

Xartep;365814 wrote:

I just had to cull 2 does from the group as they would just walk up to the fence and pop over. Using the post top as a spring board.

I watched one one day run uphill to the gate and fly over it - 1200 high hmmph...

These kinds of goats are definitely of the cullable (sp??) variety, no matter what the breed or purpose. They teach the rest of the herd some very bad habits, and safer for all if they are in the freezer. I've only had 2 over the yeras, but they played merry hell till the deed was done.

If we'd done it from scratch, rather than 'fixing' fences that were already here to be goat-proof, I would have used deer netting with 2 hot outriggers at goat knee and shoulder height, as I have a lot of horned goats. The hot wires keep the goats a respectful distance from the fences, even the bucks at mating time.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373563 by igor
Replied by igor on topic goat fencing
We have normal sheep fences. Our goats stay where we put them. We have more trouble from pokey lambs. Neighbours of ours who kept boer goats commercially shot all the ones that jumped the fences and within a very few years had no more trouble. Remember goats taste a lot like sheep but are usually less fatty.

More
13 years 2 months ago #373570 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic goat fencing

igor;365901 wrote: We have normal sheep fences. Our goats stay where we put them. We have more trouble from pokey lambs. Neighbours of ours who kept boer goats commercially shot all the ones that jumped the fences and within a very few years had no more trouble. Remember goats taste a lot like sheep but are usually less fatty.

We too just have normal goat fences. The only day that our does got out was when I removed the buck to another paddock and they insisted on following!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds