Wanted: turkeys.

More
11 years 2 months ago #26988 by clinton9
Wanted: turkeys. was created by clinton9
Hi Kate and members,
I'm new to this www. lifestyleblock.co.nz.

My name is Clinton. I lived in Thames, Waikato, New Zealand.
Thames is north of 38oS latitude and on North Island.

I am looking for NZ turkey breeders that sell turkeys (meleagris gallopavo)

My friend Peter wanted turkeys for past years and I looked for turkey breeders, but with 2 or 3 websites, I were unable to find breeders.

I am looking for NZ breeders that sell both brozne (wild-coloured) turkeys and tri-coloured turkeys whose one bird have 3 colours-black, white and orange plumage, with orange secondary coverts.

I will try to post a photo of a tri-coloured turkey in standing & flying postures, with green background.

I would like email addresses, phone numbers of turkey breeders/farmers in North Island, New Zealand., please.

I appreciate your help.

Yours Sincerely

Clinton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #373691 by trishb
Replied by trishb on topic Wanted: turkeys.
Hi Clinton we are in Coatesville, North Auckland and have 4 turkeys - all bronze wing type. There are a lot of lifestyle blocks here and there are several people up here who sell them occasionally but not on a large scale I think. They pop up on Trade Me sometimes. You just have to keep an eye on TM - probably nearer Spring I would guess.
Our turkeys run free range with the chickens, guineas and fantail doves. We original had 4 young ones but 2 females unfortunately died - don't think it was disease - more likely they were too shy and didn't get enough food - then we got 2 more boys who are now big and bossy! So now have 3 boys and 1 girl. Hoping to breed the girl with one of the unrelated boys. So there will be 2 surplus boys........... But they are only pets!
Anyhow, they are very interesting to have around.......

More
11 years 1 month ago #375365 by clinton9
Replied by clinton9 on topic Wanted: turkeys.
Hi Trish,
These turkeys are not easy to find and get, my friend Peter Rutherford wanted brozne turkeys for 5 past years and I did not know of any turkey breeders in Waikato & coromandel.
I had no luck in find the breeders of brozne (wild-coloured) turkeys. :(
Cheers
Clinton.

trishb;366041 wrote: Hi Clinton we are in Coatesville, North Auckland and have 4 turkeys - all bronze wing type. There are a lot of lifestyle blocks here and there are several people up here who sell them occasionally but not on a large scale I think. They pop up on Trade Me sometimes. You just have to keep an eye on TM - probably nearer Spring I would guess.
Our turkeys run free range with the chickens, guineas and fantail doves. We original had 4 young ones but 2 females unfortunately died - don't think it was disease - more likely they were too shy and didn't get enough food - then we got 2 more boys who are now big and bossy! So now have 3 boys and 1 girl. Hoping to breed the girl with one of the unrelated boys. So there will be 2 surplus boys........... But they are only pets!
Anyhow, they are very interesting to have around.......

More
11 years 1 month ago #375385 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Wanted: turkeys.
Remember that turkeys are desert birds.
When I lived in Thames (in the 50's, 60's and 70's) there were quite a few farmers that had a few turkeys. But with the amount of rain, and with their habit of roosting in trees, the young died very easily and the few adults left were very difficult to catch. If you are going to stop them flying then it is likely they will die of wet.
Have you tried either of the Backhouse's out at Pururi? If not, tell them that Colin in Brightwater suggested that you ask them.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375403 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Wanted: turkeys.
Where I grew up in Northland there was a reasonable population of wild turkeys that bred up on someone's place and then spread. At one time if we wanted turkey for dinner it was a simple matter of going for a walk with the shotgun. Not sure if there are any left now though.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375637 by celt
Replied by celt on topic Wanted: turkeys.
I know the wellsford, kaiwaka and out west, dargaville way is crawling with wild turkeys in the paddocks.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds