new at this......

More
11 years 2 months ago #26881 by aussie annie
hi, i am a bit new at this ,ok very new at this , my back ground is 3 kids ,from 18 to 7 and many chooks , we live on land 35 mins from Ballarat ,victoria. my husband works on a large beef, cropping farm ,and we live on the farm too, I have a clydesdale that i ride and look after some horse down the road. hi to every one over the water , annie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #372261 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic new at this......
Hi ya Annie and welcome to the LSB cyber family :)
:) hope hubby farms Murray Greys ( them being the best Aussie breed :) )
:) am sure you will find lots of interesting and helpful people here :)
LOL :) :) us Kiwis dont mind when your only just across the ditch :)
Have fun and enjoy the site eh :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 2 months ago #372316 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic new at this......
I answered your other post before reading this one, so will add some more comments here.
If your heading dog can be kept at the farm and away from the chickens, and given work, then your choice would be right. But if she will be kept near the chickens, she will likely round them up. My heading/eye dog loves chickens and could eye them all day long. However, the instant that they move he tries to stop them .... which is often fatal to the chicken. Trying to unteach a natural instinct can sometimes be very difficult.

More
11 years 2 months ago #373584 by helen55
Replied by helen55 on topic new at this......
Hi Annie

I'm an Aussie, too. I used to live in NSW - had a few acres, 3 horses and 2 pet sheep. I've been in NZ for nearly 8 years and have just bought a small property near Oamaru. I'm enjoying exploring the paddocks without having to worry about brown snakes, tiger snakes, red belly blacks etc. I also don't miss the huntsmen that used to lurk on the loo door and behind the sun visor in the car!

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #374035 by kerrinkarl
Replied by kerrinkarl on topic new at this......

helen55;365925 wrote: Hi Annie

I'm an Aussie, too. I used to live in NSW - had a few acres, 3 horses and 2 pet sheep. I've been in NZ for nearly 8 years and have just bought a small property near Oamaru. I'm enjoying exploring the paddocks without having to worry about brown snakes, tiger snakes, red belly blacks etc. I also don't miss the huntsmen that used to lurk on the loo door and behind the sun visor in the car!

Hi,
I know what you mean about not having to worry about the snakes. We came to NZ from WA Aug last year but despite being aware that there are no snakes here, I can't shake the habit of watching out for them - everywhere I go ! We have lush long green pastures at present which one calf can't keep up with. We have two little streams which run through two forested areas and a garden which aches for constant attention. We brought our two dogs with us from Aus and they love it here as much as we do. I was hoping to touch base with someone or others from Aus who have come to NZ and settled into a lifestyle block existence too. Cheers, Kerri

More
11 years 2 months ago #374044 by helen55

kerrinkarl;366431 wrote: Hi,
I know what you mean about not having to worry about the snakes. We came to NZ from WA Aug last year but despite being aware that there are no snakes here, I can't shake the habit of watching out for them - everywhere I go ! We have lush long green pastures at present which one calf can't keep up with. We have two little streams which run through two forested areas and a garden which aches for constant attention. We brought our two dogs with us from Aus and they love it here as much as we do. I was hoping to touch base with someone or others from Aus who have come to NZ and settled into a lifestyle block existence too. Cheers, Kerri

I'm still on the lookout for snakes, too. It's amazing the number of things that resemble snakes - bits of flax, garden hoses etc. I'm still careful when I move sacks and other things in the sheds - just in case there's a snake there. I'm sure I'll get over it one day ... :)

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #374101 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic new at this......
Hi Aussie Annie, welcome to the site. I'm an ex-Sydney girl living on 5.5 acres just south of Hamilton. It's the poisonous spiders I don't miss. :-)

Kerrinkarl, if you ever come down to Field Days we live nearby, you can get a fix of Strine.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 2 months ago #374114 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic new at this......

helen55;365925 wrote: I also don't miss the huntsmen that used to lurk on the loo door and behind the sun visor in the car!

Helen I think those are the large spiders we call Avondale Spiders up here. They are very creepy (but mainly cause I don't like spiders.) They were used in the movie, Arachnophobia, due to them looking fierce, but being safe to handle.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 2 months ago #374670 by helen55

Stikkibeek;366522 wrote: Helen I think those are the large spiders we call Avondale Spiders up here. They are very creepy (but mainly cause I don't like spiders.) They were used in the movie, Arachnophobia, due to them looking fierce, but being safe to handle.

Yuck ... I just googled Avondale spider and you are right - they are Huntsmen. I really hope they don't end up in Oamaru!

More
11 years 2 months ago #374700 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic new at this......
Good choice of horse AA....my Clydie is my Avatar and he nearly went to Aussie as a show jumper. Glad I've still got him tho. You have snakes bushfires drought and flooding.....we have earthquakes tornadoes and flooding (and boy racers) lol. :D

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds