Much better than facebook

More
11 years 3 months ago #26744 by mercury
Hell I am Alice, I am a dog groomer, My husband Sam is an engineer/electrician. We have an acre block where we live with our three children Lui, Emily and Jennifer, our two elest boys have left the nest. We are interested in being as self suffieient as possible.

We have a house cow Daisy who is due to come home from the bull, she gives us endless amusement and frustration with her antics. Two weaners we're rearing for food so are nameless. Eleven chickens, rhodeisland reds who had names but now I can't tell them apart. Three dogs, two hunting dogs Sugar and Troy and one uppity poodle Zin zan. Our daughters two sheep Lilly and Rainbow, who they have decided they want to send to sale next week so they can buy some new clothes. Two cats Mertan (he's the man awesome rat catcher) and Jippy who lies around and eats lots. Two guineas Bella and Angel. Also our elder son asked us to look after his two turkeys and a dog Diego for a 'couple' of weeks six months ago, hmm.
We have an awesome vege garden which has recovered after a previous turkey rampage. I am interested in learning to make butter and cheese and maybe having bees in the future, and my husband wanted me to add that he is always on the look out for blocks to pig hunt on, with stock safe dogs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370950 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Much better than facebook
Welcome mercury ..lots of helpful people here ...and even some cheese makers[:0] ...
I have to ask ...is that Daisy in your avatar pic ..she is so cute[;)] We had a cow called Daisy once ...I think everyone should have at least one Daisy cow in their lifetime:p I currently have 2 breeding cows... Elizabeef and Cocoa Bean and their 4 children in the bovine dept ...lots and lots (read that as too many) sheep who I love[}:)]:rolleyes: and down to 2 horses :( but that can change in the twinkle of an eye[;)][^] ...
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 3 months ago #370959 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Much better than facebook
Hi ya mercury :)
wish you were closer , as my 2 Akita's could use a good proper groom :)
LOL doesnt help that the female one loves a bath , and the male hates a bath , and sits in the hallway howling in sympathy for the female who is in the bath and loving it lol :)

:) if thats Daisy in your pic :) .. lol the jerseys are great house cows :) .. my old man had a Jersey stud when i was growing up :)

LOL but i am the bad one in the family :( .. i like sheep and goats and dexter and Murrya Grey cattle :) and worse still i have 2 japanese Akita dogs :)
There is no hope for me :( lol lol

Welcome to the LSB cyber family :) .. lots of helpful and experienced people on here :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #371000 by mercury
Replied by mercury on topic Much better than facebook
Thanks Terralee and Stu R, yes that is Daisy cow standing on the veranda looking in lounge window wondering why the dogs are allowed in and not her. She has been in more than once, eaten all the pot plants and done a large puddle on the floor, we have an electric fence now. She also once got in garage opened buckets of paint with her horns and made some cow art with paint and poop. She is quite a character.

I complained to son today that I wanted him build a run for his turkeys cause they were eying up my vege garden again (previously destroyed the lot, even ate tomato plants) and picking on my chickens (who they were housed with at night), and well they're not a problem any more, he turned them into turkey dinners, hmm I feel bit sad but can't say I miss them, bless their little turkey souls.

More
11 years 3 months ago #371072 by The Kats Place
crikey mercury, all that on one acre - did i read right! Welcome

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 3 months ago #371073 by The Kats Place
crikey mercury, all that on one acre - did I read right? Welcome

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 3 months ago #371303 by mercury
Replied by mercury on topic Much better than facebook
I don't feel that is a lot. The main grass eater we have now is our Daisy cow and of course the guineas, sheep went to sale today. We have four paddocks, the piggies have one to themselves. Chooks have a run but they hoon around in the afternoons free. Pretty well balanced I feel. :)

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds