New Lifestyler in Martinborough

More
11 years 3 months ago #26697 by donutdebs
Hi there,

New to lifestyling having just moved to a flat wind blown field![:0] Have relocated an old villa...so renovating that and planting windbreaks is our first priority! Then plant an orchard.Dreamy plans to grow and rear organically :D Just trying to get my head around Rayburns and woodburners OMG info overload.
Any advice on all of the above greatfully received...esp organic fruit tree growers and Rayburn servicers :D
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370446 by eelcat
Welcome to Martinborough. Wind breaks are definitely a priority. You will need wind break cloth (almost certainly) to protect your young trees and shrubs before they can be big enough to withstand the wind.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 3 months ago #370453 by stephclark
Hiya and welcome.. you sound like me 25yrs ago.. flat block, old villa ( complete with leaks )..
you will be surprised how quick everything grows and changes once you start...
we went for the old coalrange ( shacklock ) rather than rayburn etc.. so cant help you there.. have learnt a heap about coalranges thow and can put you in touch with all sorts of experts :D
sooo... get planting and enjoy your block

More
11 years 3 months ago #370496 by sod
Replied by sod on topic New Lifestyler in Martinborough
Welcome and hi one day sooner than you think you will stop and get a shock how far you have come all the best. Steph us too about same time relocated old villa put in Shaclock threw out electric stove :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 3 months ago #370560 by igor
Welcome to the site. Looks like you're well on the way.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370637 by Jen - Featherston
welcome! if you are thinking about what fire to put in I would have loved a rayburn but at $30k to put it in with radiators I went for a contessa instead! $5k with a wetback :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370645 by eelcat
Agree - Contessas are great! Whereabouts in M/borough are you? We're in behind the golf course

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 3 months ago #370666 by gemini kiwi
Hi there, welcome to the list. We have a waterford stanley in our kitchen. Best thing we ever bought over 20 years ago. I just love it.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370740 by ccrk9
Welcome to South Wairarapa. Dont forget frost protection for your trees and plants. It can get down to minus 9 in places

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds