Hi from Annie on the west coast

More
11 years 4 months ago #26370 by annievanlooy
Hi there everyone, Iv been a life styler now for eight years altho my partner calls it a life sentance block, not me i love it. 3 bearded collies who watch me round up the 16 sheep , 5 lazy cats ,23 chooks, 3 ducks,4 goats and soon to be more.I think the worst shock of all was fly stryke.That was a bit of a shocker, Wish i new about this site when i first started out. Has been a great help
Cheers Annie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366695 by LongRidge
Hi Annie. Like you, I wish that we had had this information when we started.
We had a dog from the SPCA that I tried to train to round up the sheep. He didn't have a clue, but ..... he loved chasing sticks. So when I needed help, I threw a stick in the direction that I wanted the dog to go, and he indirectly helped to move the sheep.
A warning about goats. They are very prone to catching all the bugs that sheep get, but much worse. Goats go well with cattle, but not sheep (nor horses because they can injure a horse with their horns).

More
11 years 4 months ago #366714 by stephclark
LR a question.. how is it a goat will injure a horse with its horns but not a cow?..cattle are lower to the ground.. so i would have thought it would either be the other way round or the same chance of injury..

my dog is the same as your one.. and i do the same thing.. particularly when i get 3 deaf kids running off.. only way to get their attention is to throw a ball past them ( or at them [;)] ) .. and the dog goes hurtling after that..
no they are not mine.. i give the odd riding lesson.. and what a challenge that is!

to Annie.. welcome to the site.. lots of good hints and knowledge here ..

More
11 years 4 months ago #366757 by Andrea1
Hi, Annie - and welcome! I didn't see your post till just now. We run cattle, goats, KK pigs, chickens, turkeys, and a mini horse, all together, and they are just fine. We just keep horsey boy away from the does when they're kidding, not because he's ever done anything to the goats (though he hates the PIGLETS - doesn't mind the adults pigs), but we had one Shetland a few years back who picked up a young kid by the back leg and flipped him. Kid was OK, but NOT something I'd want to encourage!

More
11 years 4 months ago #366865 by LongRidge
steph, a goat will not necessarily injure a horse or cattle, but if it has horns that are the right shape then it can. Goats with horns (and perhaps without horns, but I've only had a couple of them) tend to defend the food with their heads. I've had my 100kg rams in with a couple of 40kg goats recently, and the rams keep their distance but try to sneak in if they think they can. We've had a mini horse and a donkey poked with goat horns, that have made an open wound. The cattle don't tend to be run with the goats.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366878 by kate
Our goats are in with our horses...and one of the goats is an angora with horns :D :D

Web Goddess

More
11 years 4 months ago #366935 by igor
We run goats and cattle together. The big cattle don't take any crap from the goats and even the calf will stand her ground. One of the big dairy goats (without horns) appears to be afraid of the Jersey cow (also dehorned). They came to us from the same farm so maybe there is a bit of history between them that we are unaware of.

More
11 years 4 months ago #367023 by LongRidge
Kate, our equines were absolutely safe too, until they weren't. Fortunately I noticed the wounds before the flies had properly struck.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds