Hay making.

More
11 years 4 months ago #26355 by trebon
Hay making. was created by trebon
Hi there, this is my first thread on lsb. I have been living on a 12 acre block for the last 4 months now and starting to get my head around everything. A big change from living in Northcote on the Shore and before that central London. We have very long grass at the moment and want to make hay. We would like someone to make the hay and take it all away. We have had someone have a look and give us a price, but I'm not sure if it's good or not. $1 for a small bale and $10 for a big bale. Can anyone let me know the going rate and if there is anyone in the Matakana area who can do the job? Thanks. Very green to all this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366434 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hay making.
I may be wrong but I think they are trying to take you for a sucker. I suspect that the price they are offering is a bit on the low side. From memory the cost to bale our hay two seasons ago was $15 per big (four foot) round bale. That was for baling only as our mate down the road cut it and raked it for us. That size bale sells for $40 to $65 around here depending on quality and availability.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366437 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Hay making.
Igor, i think you will that Trebon is talking about standing grass.
Top quality grass is about $3 here in the waikato, if the grass isnt very good quality at all, take the $1 and smile all the way. Its money for jam, and you wont have to lift a finger, apart from open gates, and make sure there is NO Rubbish in the paddocks that could damage tractor or equipment

More
11 years 4 months ago #366538 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hay making.
Yes, 4 month old grass will not be hugely nutritionally valuable.
If you are GST registered, try to add the GST to the $1.

More
11 years 4 months ago #366566 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hay making.
Yes, I would be thinking $1 for the grass per bale for hay at this time of year, would be about right. We paid $2 for small bale equivalents down here in southern North Island in November for grass (leafy) suitable for silage/baleage.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds