A rest is as good as a change

More
11 years 5 months ago #26246 by Ruth
Kia ora!

I'm a farmer, writer and photographer (and a number of other things currently in recess).

I breed Angus cattle mostly for breeding, i.e. I want to keep making a better herd. We keep a few sheep to produce lambs mainly for eating. My partner (Stephan) is an ex-shepherd, shearer, fencer, now those plus fabulous chef, woodturner and contract conservation pest trapper.

Together we take reasonable care of a very beautiful 240 acres just south-east of Kaitaia, in a reasonably high rainfall valley.

I've been a member of this forum for several years. I'd always called myself Isla online, but when Isla herself (my pedigree Angus cow) died just over a year ago, I found continuing under her name quite difficult. Pseudo-anonymity also became more and more pointless, so I'm starting again, with my own name.

I'm somewhat antisocial, don't beat about the bush, call hand-held earth moving tools spades, but am rarely intentionally impolite. I like thinking, discussing, working things out, finding better ways to do things. I don't like "we've always done this so it's right," and my definition of political correctness is an earlier one: the determination not to exclude or inadvertently offend other people. I know how to use apostrophes. I have always been a feminist, sometimes a radical one. All of these things inform my writing and my style.

I write mostly for pleasure and so that when my memory inevitably goes off wherever those of my grandmother and mother have gone before it, my nieces and nephews can find the things I'd like to have told them.

I write here because I like to share the things I've learnt, because I remember not knowing them. It also helps me think about the things I still don't know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365090 by PeterNZ
Hello Ruth,

welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find a lot of friendly people here and your knowledge will be mor than welcome.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 5 months ago #365091 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic A rest is as good as a change
Welcome back Ruth, and now we can continue those long rambling discussions on how to breed a better cow!

I don't know how to use apostrophes, but thankyou for the lessons and I will try to follow the rules but will appreciate being corrected when I get it wrong!
I very much appreciate your taking time to rest and take a big breath and return to LSB again to share your knowledge and wonderful photos.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365092 by kate
Replied by kate on topic A rest is as good as a change
Welcome back and I love your avatar :D

Web Goddess

More
11 years 5 months ago #365093 by terralee
:D YAY welcome back Ruth.[^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 5 months ago #365097 by eelcat
Great to see you back - look forward to your postings

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 5 months ago #365103 by Kalmara
Welcome back
I've been known to use a shovel in place of a spade :)

More
11 years 5 months ago #365105 by igor
Replied by igor on topic A rest is as good as a change
Hi Ruth. Welcome back. I too know what an apostrophe is and I like to think I know how to use it. I sometimes have difficulty with knowing whether to insert a comma or do without it though.
Kalmara, it is very important to know the difference between the shovel and the spade. Many people do not know this and use the wrong tool for the job thereby making their work harder than it needs to be.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365107 by reggit
Welcome, stranger :D :D :D well, not that strange really [}:)]. Glad to see you back on board.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 5 months ago #365112 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic A rest is as good as a change
Thank you. :D

I think I may have meant a shovel.[:0]

More
11 years 5 months ago #365174 by Jen - Featherston
Welcome back Ruth, I look forward to hearing about the moo's :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365199 by LongRidge
Thank goodness that I can relinquish my position of spelling and grammar policeman :-)

More
11 years 5 months ago #365229 by Ruth

Kate;356229 wrote: Welcome back and I love your avatar :D

Stephan was in Gisborne for the Lytton High reunion over the weekend and snapped that one somewhere. Well, something very like it. [;)]

LongRidge;356348 wrote: Thank goodness that I can relinquish my position of spelling and grammar policeman :-)

No, you go right ahead. I just like to be able to understand people and I was hoping we could form a support group for those few of us left who are comfortable with apostrophes. We'd be a bit like a Kiwi protection league: fighting a losing battle.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365231 by drifter
I'm so very glad to see you are back :D :D :D

If I may, I'd like to join your support group. However, at times, I fall off the wagon and need help to get back on.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 5 months ago #365232 by Ruth
I have been known to misplace them myself! Fortunately I usually spot them when proofing before pushing "Post".

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds