Thanks for any help

More
11 years 4 months ago #26219 by JL
Thanks for any help was created by JL
Hello,
New to farming and the rural lifestyle moving into 10 acres with one cow, a few sheep, 2 goats, 2 pigs, chickens, our dog. We don't intent to sell meat or eat it. Animals are just for fun ...

Any tips welcome :)
JL

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #364954 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Thanks for any help
Hi JL, welcome to the site. Someone asked a similar question recently so if you look through the current threads you will find the answers you seek I hope!

My tip would be, take gardening gloves with you whenever you do your daily walk around to check stock, and pull out any weeds you see, especially thistles. All too quickly they came become a seemingly insurmountable problem!

Good luck with your lifestyle dream.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 4 months ago #364967 by Jen - Featherston
My advise would be to get the lifestyle bible - Practical Small Farming by Tricia Fisk.

Learn about all the things that can go wrong with cows, sheep, goats and pigs.

Get some standards like Tetravet - oh just look up the thread on what to have in your vet box and get equipped!

Get some hay now, while it is still cheap - even if it is only 20-30 bails I call my hay insurance, cause when you have animals that are hungry and no feed you could be paying $20 a bail IF you can find any for sale.

Oh and find a good vet - ask on here for recommendations in your area, go and introduce yourself and start an account - put at least $10 a pay into it if they will let you - cause its so comforting knowing that if you have to get the vet out there is no second thought about money.

And on the subject of introductions, go and meet your neighbours asap, take some baking or a bottle of wine, cause you never know when you will need someone in an emergency and happy neighbours are good neighbours.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 4 months ago #365371 by JL
Replied by JL on topic Thanks for any help
Great. Thank you so much for the advice.
Indeed I gathered gorse and thistle need quick attention.
We have a vet for our dog already but not a VetSaver plan ...
An animal emergency kit is a great idea and so it the book recommendation Thanks.

Trying to understand what equipment and tools to get to make sure they last and get used (my god there are so many lopper choices).

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

More
11 years 4 months ago #365388 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Thanks for any help
Remember that when animals get old, it becomes kinder to kill them than to allow further suffering. The Animal Welfare Act does not permit you to allow an animal to die slowly.
I was reminded of this when I killed an old pet cow. She had got old, lame and was in slight discomfort as far as I could see. When we butchered her, the butcher showed me the state of her hip bones and the wear on them, which must have been more painful than she was showing.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds