Howdy all!

• JoanneK
11 years 5 months ago #26132 by JoanneK
Howdy all! was created by JoanneK
Im a newbie here, been life-styling for 6 years now on a small 10acre block in Carterton (7km to Carterton and 7km to Masterton). One of the key reasons I applyied to this wesite is that it is awesome! So much knowledge.

My partner and I run logging trucks and I mostly manage the stock or I should say the mass number of animals - 1 horse, 14 cattle (9 R1s, 5 R2's), 4 dogs, 2 cats and recently 4 hens with 6 adopted chicks. Should include my 12yr son in that list too??

Looking forward to gain more lifestyle skills ....:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363947 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Howdy all!
Welcome to the site Joanne

Hope you find lots of useful advice here, and I am sure you have plenty to give to.

Jen

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363948 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Howdy all!
Welcome - another local!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 5 months ago #363998 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Howdy all!
Welcome ..... "run logging trucks" ..... now that is different. How many can you run to the acre, what is their gestation, what sort of fencing is needed .....:-)
On a more serious note ..... your idea of running a mix of R1 and R2 is a very good idea. I would consider that you have about 4 R1's too many, in that if you have even numbers then about the same amount of grass is being eaten every year, if you sell the R2's to the works when they are R3's and replace them with 5 more R1s.

• JoanneK
11 years 5 months ago #364350 by JoanneK
Replied by JoanneK on topic Howdy all!
Thank you all! Logging Trucks, get about 3.8 per acre, engine idling the gestation last longer than if they moved but the feed is increasing every day. Fencing, well we consider nothing but the safest for this rare breed, free range.

As for my mix of R1's and R2's, well the R2's will be gone in May, the R1's 5 will be put up for sale (TradeMe) as I do every year and the other 4 will following on unitl R2's for the works. As long as they sell, I should only see 4 through the winter until feeders in August.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds