Yet another newbie

More
11 years 5 months ago #26077 by minnow
Yet another newbie was created by minnow
Hi everyone, been stalking the forums for a while and taking note of all the useful advice so thought it was about time I joined. I have recently purchased 3.7 acres just out of Kaiwaka, currently home to my son and I (2), four cats, one dog, a horse and plenty of plants :) I grow ornamentals for a living. At the moment looking at getting some chooks and a few sheep but have to sort out the fencing first :(

Little fish, big pond [^]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363570 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Yet another newbie
Hi, minnow -- welcome! No advice really, just wanted to say hello... good idea to get fencing sorted first, and save yourself a lot of headaches.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363579 by minnow
Replied by minnow on topic Yet another newbie
Thanks Andrea, seems I have already "got" some sheep from next door due to the fencing! Helps my paddocks but they better not get into the plants ...

More
11 years 5 months ago #363651 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Yet another newbie
Welcome, and a couple of points ....
It helps if we know about where you are, so that the advice can be specific enough to be more helpful.
Your neighbour is responsible for keeping his stock out of your place, and vice versa. For boundary fences this is done by agreement between each of you of what sort of fences you need. For example, elephants hate mice. So if I were farming mice and the neighbour elephants, I would want to keep my mice away from his elephants so would need a different fence than he would need. But if you have sheep and your neighbour has sheep then a 50% share can be done. If he or his animals break the boundary fence then he is 100% responsible for bringing it back to the standard that it was (and vice versa). So if your ornamentals fall on the fence and break it, then you fix the fence. But if his animals break the fence to get to your ornamentals, he fixes the fence.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363683 by minnow
Replied by minnow on topic Yet another newbie
Thanks Longridge,
I'm in Kaipara district and the property next door is owned by the council - 106 hectares or so. At the moment I am having enough problems with the manager of the farm re spring water that I don't want to make waves (no pun intended) but if the sheep do cause damage to my plants I will indeed seek compensation :) What happens if they poison themselves on my lavender [;)]

More
11 years 3 months ago #368193 by BlueSkyBee
Replied by BlueSkyBee on topic Yet another newbie
Hi Minnow :) welcome!! I think I know you from somewhere.... lol

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds