Duchess

More
11 years 5 months ago #26064 by Duchess
Duchess was created by Duchess
I am a newbie to LSB forums, although I have subscribed to the magazine for years. Lately I find I have a lot of questions about chooks, as I reared 40 Cobbs from day old and kept a couple of hens to see how they would breed. I paired them up with a Light Sussex rooster. One hen died of an apparent heart attack but the other produced several viable eggs which I popped under broody bantams. I now have a few half Cobb half Sussex hens (we ate the half breed roosters). No questions at the moment, but Hello Everybody! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363231 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Duchess
Hello Duchess and welcome, especially to the chicken lovers fraternity!

Your Cobb hens need to be kept in slim condition to breed successfully. They can be reasonable egg layers, especially if kept 'fit'. The better way round is to keep a Meat bred rooster and put him over hens from a good egg laying strain-but once again you have to keep them lean!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 5 months ago #363233 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Duchess
Welcome Duchess, you have come to the right place for any questions. One of our resident egg-spert [;)] has already welcomed you.

The magazine you have been subscribing to is NZ Lifestyle Block, owned by Fairfax Media, we are lifestyleblock.co.nz. owned by Kate Brennan. Two totally different entities.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 5 months ago #363265 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Duchess
Hi Duchess, welcome to the site.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds