Border Collie dilemma

More
11 years 6 months ago #25737 by folkestonefarm
Hi. Can anyone help in re-homing a 4 year old apricot & white Border Collie?
We recently adopted her, but didn't reallise what a negative effect it would have on our cats. My Maine Coon is terrified and has gone into hiding.
We are not getting much sleep worrying about the cat coming home.
Queen is great in every other way, just not good with other pets. She has not been trained to work stock, but is very keen on cattle and knows a few commands, but no guarantees.
She has a sweet, loving nature with people and is very obedient. If anyone can help we would be very happy. [IMG]http://Queen[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359282 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Border Collie dilemma
How much?
Has she been speyed? Vaccinated? Long haired?
It's a bit of a pity that she is not black. Black cattle and sheep dogs/ sheep and cattle dogs that are black scare the animals more, so the animals do more of what the dog (and handler) want .....

More
11 years 6 months ago #359295 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Border Collie dilemma
Is she bad with the cats or are the cats timid? If a cat stood it's ground will she attack or back off?
What about other animals like chickens etc?

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359325 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Border Collie dilemma
In my limited experience, border collies and cats generally dont get on. My border absolutely hated cats with a passion and I have 3 cats. it was a case of if cats were outside, border was locked up. If dog was out, cats were locked inside out of harms way. They managed to co-habitate for about 8 years in this manner. Not ideal, but the only way to keep everyone safe. Border died about 2 years ago now and cats are loving the freedom.

Good luck with your girl.

More
11 years 6 months ago #359344 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Border Collie dilemma
How about a photo please

LR love you dog colour theary :D we had a brown n white cattle dog we knew and she was a cracker :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 6 months ago #359345 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Border Collie dilemma
My border collie is fine with my cats, however at the moment while my cats have their kittens they are very protective and constantly attacking my poor dog :(

More
11 years 6 months ago #359388 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Border Collie dilemma
sod, I got that theory from an old stockman and sheep dog trainer. I didn't really believe it until I put a black pet sheep in with some white ewes to quieten them down. The black sheep saw the ewes and headed off towards them. The white sheep saw the black sheep and ran away. So the black pet ran faster to catch up. In the end we had a black pet sheep chasing white sheep around the paddock. Eventually they settled down .....
folkestone farm ..... on further reflection, I wonder how much Sheltie your dog has in her? I understand they can be very good dogs, but my experience of just the one Sheltie would immediately make me anti. When she has rounded the animals, does she bark?

Ps .....Sheltie you numbscull, not Kelpie.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds