New member in OZ.

More
11 years 7 months ago #25497 by crustyo44
New member in OZ. was created by crustyo44
Hi Everybody,
Just a short introduction. My name is Jan, semi-retired now. I live in Brisbane with my wife. We have been keen gardeners, sausage makers, meat and fish curers/smokers.
Lately I have taken a fancy to my homemade smoked biltong. It never last long and even the Aussies have taken a liking to it.
No Knead bread baking is also another big thing with us as well as vegetable growing.
We are planning to shift to Tasmania for a more relaxed lifestyle as Brisbane is becoming more of a rat-race everyday.
Best regards,
Jan. Brisbane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356856 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic New member in OZ.
hi
good hunting in taz but buggas wont let you use a bow.
just as well bows dont go bang
mike

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
11 years 7 months ago #356870 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic New member in OZ.
Welcome crusty, it will be interesting to see if you end up on a few acres in Tassie. Feel free to share your no-knead bread and smoked biltong recipes with us ;-)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356896 by the old ram
Replied by the old ram on topic New member in OZ.
Hi Crusty and welcome to the family,where in Tassie are you heading to ?It is going to be a bit of a"culture "shock,but the lifestyle will suit you I'm sure..............Do try to keep us all up to date with your "adventures",as you settle in down there ...............T.O.R..

More
11 years 7 months ago #356945 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New member in OZ.
Nothing wrong with Tasmania whatever the mainland Aussies say. One of my ancestors lived there for a time. The British government gave him a free ticket. I'd be keen to have a go at making biltong.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356983 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic New member in OZ.
Hi Crusty; Tassie is a great place; we were to move there many years ago.
Even paid a deposit on a place, but sadly it was not to be.:(

We even got the deposit back, something that did not happen on a place in NZ that fell through many years ago.

The OH's massive heart attack put paid to all our Tasmania plans.

In those days Tasmania even gave free firewood to their pensioners.
Fantastic place with a climate rather like NZ.
Please keep in touch, I for one will read with interest. :)

Recovering Lifestyler

More
11 years 7 months ago #356988 by the old ram
Hello and Hi to all the "sensitive souls" out there,I was not being "critical" of living in Tas,but they do have a "view" of mainlanders,invading"their" country..............T.O.R.

More
11 years 7 months ago #357030 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic New member in OZ.

the old ram;347352 wrote: Hello and Hi to all the "sensitive souls" out there,I was not being "critical" of living in Tas,but they do have a "view" of mainlanders,invading"their" country..............T.O.R.

Not dis-similar to white NZ'rs at all then. I was very sure the scars on the knuckles were very similar and had seen them before. Fortunately some have managed to breed outside the family circle and we mainland Aussies are here to get the genetics back on track again. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :D

(watch the fireworks in the comfort of your own home folks, this is going to reel the SS's in). :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #357090 by Olivia
Replied by Olivia on topic New member in OZ.

crustyo44;347181 wrote:
No Knead bread baking is also another big thing with us as well as vegetable growing.

Welcome crusty, from one newcomer to another :)

A couple of years ago I started making bread, using no-knead recipes in the belief that they were easier; after numerous problems I thought that bread making just wasn't my thing (biscuits don't seem to be either :() and out of sheer desperation tried a yeast & knead recipe - success!

Maybe I was just overlooking something very simple with the no-knead breads, your recipes may be able to shed some light on the matter!

Olivia

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
11 years 7 months ago #357093 by the old ram
Gosh Swaggie ,you have not had a bite yet?...........Funny about Tassies,if you scratch the surface you will find that NZers dont rate very highly either...................T.O.R.

More
11 years 7 months ago #357133 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic New member in OZ.

the old ram;347483 wrote: Gosh Swaggie ,you have not had a bite yet?...........Funny about Tassies,if you scratch the surface you will find that NZers dont rate very highly either...................T.O.R.

good to see Aussie humour alive and well! I am sure many are holding back from the keyboard this side of the ditch!!!!!!

all in good fun - over the ditch rivalry. (if not always in good taste). :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #357201 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New member in OZ.
T.O.R.
Seen written on a wall in Sydney,
New Zealand sux.
Underneath someone else had written,
Australia null.

More
11 years 7 months ago #357212 by crustyo44
Replied by crustyo44 on topic New member in OZ.
Hi Members,
Thank you all for welcoming me and all the remarks about genes, Taswegian bloodlines etc etc.
First of all, smoked biltong recipe. Easy as chips.
Personally I buy whole rumps, rather cheap and good, slice the meat about 1" thick, cut of most of the fat for obvious health reasons, dip in plain viver and sprinkle with biltong ready made spices. I personally use
Safari biltong spice by Crown National. Pack it all in a plastic container and put in the fridge, after 30 minutes turn the meat strips over, do this four more times.
Before hanging your meat strips to dry, spray it with a mixture of vinegar and water 50/50%.
I hang it all in my smoker to dry. After a day when the meat is no longer wet on the outside I smoke it for about 2-3 hours. Repeat this on the following 2 days.
That's all, you will know when the meat is dry enough to eat, some like it softer than others. Experiment with it.
I have built a smoke oven the size of a large fridge, stainless inside with removeable racks. In the chimney on top, I made provisions so I can fit a small exhaust fan to aid in biltong drying.
Biltong sells in Australia on Ebay and in the shops here for $ 66.00 per kilo.
When I have more time I will be back on how I make my no knead bread.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.

More
11 years 6 months ago #358642 by crustyo44
Replied by crustyo44 on topic New member in OZ.
Hi Members,
I do enjoy the Oz/Kiwi rivalry. Most of the remarks are from Ozzies. One living in NZ trying to improve their bloodlines and the other is a old Mexican (South of the Border) for us Queenslanders.
Keep it up fellas. I love it.
We won't have any trouble living in Tasmania as my wife lived there for a long time.
She is a Pom and they all shifted to the North Coast when they arrived in Australia.
I prefer the southern part, closer to all these escaped salmon swimming around. The last escape they had was approx. 75,000 fish.
This seem to happen as a regular occurance, due to seals/sharks etc.
I intend the catch heaps of them, cure and smoke them.
Best Regards,
Jan. Brisbane

More
11 years 6 months ago #358711 by the old ram
Turn it up Crusty,I'm not that" OLD",only 68 and a quarter,still manage to shear all our sheep(350/400) in a matter of a few weeks(not years and by myself),so I'm not doing too "bad" and still find time to "irritate "the folks over the "ditch".LOL...........T.O.R.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds