New from Marlborough

More
11 years 7 months ago #25481 by canajanz
Hello from two new members in sunny Marlborough

We hope to be changing this year's grazing to lucerne next year

The next few months will be busy with designing, and then project managing, the build of our new home so that we can move ON to our property.

I'm sure the learning curve will be steep so I am looking forward to all your input

canajanz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356679 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New from Marlborough
Welcome to the Mainland.
I wouldn't be brave enough to change all my grazing to lucerne, because it's fertility requirements are much different to grass, and I would need a tractor to be able to do the broadcast spraying (which I don't agree with) that I have been told lucerne requires. Also, I wouldn't be able to buy meadow hay or baleage to feed out in winter, because that would introduce grass seeds. I would thus be forced to buy lucerne or maize baleage, or lucerne hay. Too expensive for my beef cattle and sheep. Also, I have lots of hills that a tractor can't be got onto, so the animals that grazed those paddocks would have to be kept out of the lucerne at all times, to reduce the chance of grass getting into the lucerne, from those animals poo.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356720 by sod
Replied by sod on topic New from Marlborough
welcome I agree with LR from having lived with it for a few years and having to cut,cart and feed it all out. But then I wouldn't be doing a house again either like you are doing but some on here have all the best

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #356728 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic New from Marlborough
Hi ya :) and welcome to the LSB cyber family :)
LOts of helpful people on here :) lots of great ideas one has never thought of , but others experiences have proved them to work :)
Is a great site and great people ... the knowledge base is just unbeleiveable :)
Allsorts :) from bones of your bum people like me, to those that can afford just to buy things ... yet all understand life as it is :)
Hope you enjoy your time on here :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #356760 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic New from Marlborough
Welcome and all the best with your build. As an ex-Marlburian (and will go back in ten years) I remember the lucerne growing from my childhood. The smell of the burning stubble, the stream of lucerne trucks - brings it all back!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 7 months ago #356776 by canajanz
Replied by canajanz on topic New from Marlborough
I think I need to clarify
We will be replacing the grazing with growing Lucerne .. for sale...
So we wont have any contamination issues.
I will confine the few remaining (pet) animals to the 4 home acres and save them some of the good lucerne hay for winter.
Most of the bales will be sold to all the desperate, whose horses refuse to eat grapes or drink wine :)

That's the plan anyway

canajanz

More
11 years 7 months ago #356780 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic New from Marlborough
Hi Canajanz - welcome. My flock gets fed lucerne almost exclusively (with some red clover thrown in) during winter so, expensive as it may, they love it and I'm grateful to have a neighbour down the road that grows it for sale.

All the best with your house project, and I look forward to hearing all about it, as well as progress on the farm, in the future.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds