Newish member finding my feet

More
13 years 7 months ago #25380 by gurtie
Hi all,
I am a self-sustainability hopeful, organic idealiser, horse loving lifestyler living on a jointly owned property with my parents just trying to make a way for myself and my family in this crazy world. At the moment we are facing another dry spell after a nasty Northland drought last summer. Our dreams are to produce the majority of our own food from our land and my personal dream is to breed robust, sensible and good looking childrens ponies. I get a bit distracted and we have a few too many gg's on our 24 acres, along with alpaca, sheep, cows, goats, pigs, chooks, ducks and some visiting turkeys. What is lacking is fencing, gardens and trees at the moment...so we are trying to come up with some creative ideas for a) increased fodder crops and b) drought-proofing. Its interesting...and a challenge...but I love it here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #355532 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Newish member finding my feet
hi gurtie :)
welcome to the LSB cyber family :)
:) am sure you will get lots of helpful ideas from here... its a great site :)
Your ideas sound great
:) and i saw something on TV last night that says you guys up north are going to get some rain to relive droughts befor Xmas :)
hope we are that lucky down here in Manawatu :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #355661 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Newish member finding my feet
Hi gurtie as stu said hope that rain does come would like some here too :) An idea for trees and feed we have "tree lucern"(SP) and "willows" stock love both and they grow fast Also willows you can just collect up the braches after cows have cleaned and stick them in the ground to grow :D :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 6 months ago #355795 by gurtie
Thanks guys for the welcome! Tree lucerne sounds interesting how do I get some?! I'm waiting for Autumn to plant willow as apparently it does better at transplanting when its not trying to support leaves? Glad to hear we will get some rain, hope you guys do too, its all a bit hairy if not. Got some sprinkles today but they only served to get me wet putting the groceries in the car and nothing else - our place was still dry when we got home!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds