Hi from new member

More
11 years 7 months ago #25329 by rosie 13
Hi from new member was created by rosie 13
We have a 20 acre lifestyle block on which we run nurse cows (5), dorper sheep (about 30) and 2 horses (hopefully soon to be 3 (or rather worringly possibly 4) as my mare is pregnant and there is a relatively strong possibility it may be twins. After 9 years of slaving away with the nurse cows (who said using nurse cows was an easy way of raising bobby calves)plus the awful wet winter we have just had we are reducing our cow numbers to just 2 and increasing our Dorper herd. Sheep just seem so much less work than cows - especially self shearing ones. Have just done a cheesemaking course - hence the keeping of the 2 cows.

Rosie - 20 acres, 2 horses (hopefully soon to be 3[:D]), 30 Dorper sheep, 4 nurse cows (with 13 calves between them), 1 Limousin bull, 2 dogs, 2 cats and 1 husband!:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354948 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Hi from new member
Hi and welcome sounds like you've had a bad run with nurse cows we find them easier than sheep

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #354983 by bayrose1
Replied by bayrose1 on topic Hi from new member
Hi rosie.
Twins are bit of a worry. how far along is your mare?. You will have to keep us up to date on her

More
11 years 7 months ago #355024 by rosie 13
Replied by rosie 13 on topic Hi from new member
Yes its a bit of a worry alright. She is 307 days. She was scanned early and the twins picked up and after multiple attempts to pinch one she was PGed to abort both, scanned (all looked as it should) then PGed again just to make sure. At 8 months after numerous queries of "is your mare pregnant" we got her tested - I did not know whether to laugh or cry with the result. I am hopeful that its only one given that she has got this far along or maybe she will be one of those miracle horses where both twins come out fine!

Rosie - 20 acres, 2 horses (hopefully soon to be 3[:D]), 30 Dorper sheep, 4 nurse cows (with 13 calves between them), 1 Limousin bull, 2 dogs, 2 cats and 1 husband!:D

More
11 years 7 months ago #355047 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Hi from new member
Hi Rosie, welcome to LSB. Looking forward to hearing about your mare's progress.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 7 months ago #355080 by bayrose1
Replied by bayrose1 on topic Hi from new member
lets hope, since she did not abort, that she is a miracle horse and does have 2 healthy foals. I can't remeber (or too tired to work it out) the 307 days. I just go on the 11 months 11 days. Be great if you can post some pictures.
Is she a certain breed? has she foaled before? :D

More
11 years 7 months ago #355121 by rosie 13
Hi
Have put a photo of her on the main thread - she is a maiden mare and is a half clyde half stationbred. The 307 days makes her about 10 months pregnant I think.

More
11 years 7 months ago #355163 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi from new member
Hi rosie 13. Welcome aboard.
How do your dorpers get on as to foot trouble on wet ground? We are going away from dorpers toward wiltshires to try to breed better feet. Good luck with the cheese. We have just started cheese making too with a cow and two goats.

More
11 years 7 months ago #355245 by rosie 13
Hi igor
This winter/spring we have had foot scald issues, but the previous 2 winters they have been fine. I think possibly its because we got our original sheep from a breeder who culled anything they saw limping so had managed to improve the foot issues considerably but then this winter it has been the wetest we have had for years and we are in a really damp area to top it all off. Its a bit difficult to do the culling thing however if you only have a few ewes and are trying to increase your herd as we are.
I just wanted a sheep which looked a bit different which is why we went the Dorper way. We started off with white ones but then put a blackhead over them and last year got half a dozen black headed ewes so have a bit of a mixed herd now.

More
11 years 7 months ago #355327 by Rosie T
Replied by Rosie T on topic Hi from new member
Hi Rosie 13,

Sounds like our lifestyles are similar. I have made cheese before when I had a couple of nurse cows and it's fun. Will post my recipe if you like. I have acquired two jersey cross calves this year to raise so I can start making cheese again. Will mate them with my lowline bull for a beefy cross for the freezer!!! Couple of years away yet. I do have access to milk though so would love to hear what your course is like.
Rosie T

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds