Hi From Sunny Franklin

More
11 years 7 months ago #25219 by KiplingAngel
:)

Hi

My Husband and I have recently purchased a wee 1ha block (well paddock with a blackberry bush on it...) in Franklin. We are planning on building on it early in the new year, however have already planted about 40 fruit trees which will eventually be made into jams, jellies, chutneys and sauces of various kinds... We have also put in some veg gardens took which will hopefully start feeding us real soon.

Edited to remove the silly idea...

Kindest regards

Tara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #353847 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
Tara, welcome. Your meat idea is a good one, but totally illegal. Don't tell anyone that you are doing it. You have to have owned and looked after the animal "on a daily basis" for at least 30 days before you can get it killed for only you and your direct family.

More
11 years 7 months ago #353899 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
when you raise beef you have to say to your self freezer meat not a pet. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 7 months ago #354083 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
Oh Pooz - what a shame. I just have real trouble looking an animal in the eye knowing I'm going to eat it. It is part of that seperation from our food that is part of the scourge of modern society.
I suppose I could walk around with a blindfold on all day...???

But seriously - I had no idea it was illegal - I do apologise for posting that here, and hope that it caused no offence or anything.

Kindest regards

KA

More
11 years 7 months ago #354104 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
Hi Tara

Don't worry about asking - very few people seem to know the legality of homekill. You can read the rules here .

If you don't ask questions, you don't learn :D

Good luck with your block...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #354118 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
KA all of our stock have names and are treated nicely and handled quietly, however as long as you stick in your mind that this animal will become your dinner one day (and a bit of time spent in the freezer makes all the mental difference) you won't have any problems. Also consider using a home kill contractor who will do the lot for you.

I tell Ralph (yearling angus cross) how delicious he looks every morning!

Seriously E has pets but the rest are farming animals. With the cost of food increasing every week now (I reckon) the economics of it all are a deciding factor.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354126 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
We call our calves 36 and 37 (tag numbers). We call the sheep "sheep" (but not the one who is residing in the frezzer[;)] But I'm not all ice and concrete... I call the chooks "ladies"

Where abouts in Franklin? The SUPER side or the other one?:D

Matt

More
11 years 7 months ago #354143 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin
Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and other times I just let her sleep. But when I do wake up grumpy, that is the day to go hunting the beggar that has peeved me off the most. And when they are meat, they very rapidly lose their personality.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354151 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin

LongRidge;344229 wrote: Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and other times I just let her sleep. But when I do wake up grumpy, that is the day to go hunting the beggar that has peeved me off the most. And when they are meat, they very rapidly lose their personality.

Very true. Sooner or later the designated animal (for the freezer) will do something that is the final straw, and then it is easy to say OUT, ENOUGH! Certainly round here that is the case. We have some animals that we name and choose to keep, and some that we name that we know that we are not going to keep, but it just makes it easier to refer to them by something. As Swaggie says they are treated nicely, but are there for a reason.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 7 months ago #354320 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Hi From Sunny Franklin

MooandPop;344210 wrote: We call our calves 36 and 37 (tag numbers). We call the sheep "sheep" (but not the one who is residing in the frezzer[;)] But I'm not all ice and concrete... I call the chooks "ladies"

Where abouts in Franklin? The SUPER side or the other one?:D

Matt

Hi Matt

We are in the area that was not in the "Super" city at the start, however we are now... :( I'm done with the temper tantrum about it, and am just getting on with things now - hoping to start building the house in the new year...

We'll have chookies and duckies, which will end up in the freezer, however cows are a different kettle of fish... so to say.

We're in "Happy Valley" which has beautiful soil, and is growing all manner of fruit trees and veg like nothing else.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds