Hi from Helena Bay!

More
11 years 7 months ago #25175 by paulam2
Hi from Helena Bay! was created by paulam2
Hi i'm Paula,

My partner Bea and me have 3 acres of slopey clay in Helena Bay. It's all a bit marginal and small time but we love, love, love it.

We have 2 dogs Stellah and Peppah from the S.P.C.A, 4 alpaca wethers and many chooks and Bantams including 2 new to the world this year whose parentage we are speculating about.

since 2003 we've tried every exotic fruit producing tree known to the NZ horticultural trade, from heritage apples to persian witch hazel and coffee. nothing has had much success as clay, hot winds, possums, alpacas, chooks, rabbits and so on have a good old laugh at us and the extent of our folly (quite large). On the plus side we're still here. 'Maintaining occupation of the land' is probably our biggest success.

we had a two spinning wheels household for a while but i've traded my old ashford traditional for a spindle. Spindling is my new craft joy. so neolithic, so World-y. Me likey.

happy LSBing!

Paula

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Soft, bleeding heart ex-townie. Drinker of all manner of home brews without exception. Buyer of feed that sustains mynahs, possums and other feral beasts. Fond of clipping divaricating plants and knitting peggy squares.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #353416 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Hi from Helena Bay!
Hi Paula,

Welcome to the forum. Trap those possums!!! Shoot those possums. Run them down, find someone who wants to do a poison run to collect the fur ...

Good luck with your occupation!

More
11 years 7 months ago #353419 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hi from Helena Bay!
Hi Neighbour :D

Got to agree re the possums but with so much bush it's a never-ending job. We've got wild pigs too which will make our veggie gardening more interesting [B)]

Good luck with your endeavours and we'll have to get together for a cuppa...or glass of something cold [8D][8D]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #353420 by paulam2
Replied by paulam2 on topic Hi from Helena Bay!
oh ta!

we have spun possum fibre with some success, but yes, they outnumber us still. ;-(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Soft, bleeding heart ex-townie. Drinker of all manner of home brews without exception. Buyer of feed that sustains mynahs, possums and other feral beasts. Fond of clipping divaricating plants and knitting peggy squares.

More
11 years 7 months ago #353421 by paulam2
Replied by paulam2 on topic Hi from Helena Bay!
Thanks! we will try not to be too eager with treats from the brew shed, especially the mugwort beer (promotes 'vivid dreams') and the pumpkin wine (terrible).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds