quarter acre lifestyler newbie - yes you can laugh! :o) i'm so excited!

More
11 years 8 months ago #25107 by sonyajh
Hi everyone,

I can't help but nervously giggle as I type this, as my little urban quarter acre 'lifestyle' in Napier will be nothing in comparison to the acreages some of you have on here, but now that we finally have our three little children and our lovely old villa waiting for some tlc, I can finally finally finally have my chicken coop!

I will mainly be on here finding out info regarding chickens, best breeds for our situation, where in Napier/Hastings to access healthy chicks from, food ideas, routines for them (have heard they enjoy knowing what's coming in their day?), preventative medicines (i understand we have to worm them? anything else?) ... I have so many questions ... would love to hear from anyone new to raising chickens for love/pets/eggs ... and from anyone experienced willing to give a freshy some tips

thanks for reading my waffle :o)
sonya

1/4 acre urban lifestyler [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352731 by Stu_R
:) hi sonya .. welcome to the lsb family
:) lol lots of chookie people on here so am sure you will get plenty of answers to your questions :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #352736 by sonyajh
Thankyou Stu, you sure sound like a busy man, even just trying to remember the names of all your 'offspring' would be a fantastic feat! :o)

More
11 years 8 months ago #352741 by Mich
Hi Sonya - back in the days when Smallfarming New Zealand was still going, a friend won the New Zealand Smallfarmer of the Year 2002 with her quarter acre section right in the heart of Lower Hutt (Hey Jen, remember Pam McDowell and those chicken dinners we had with her and Sandy while planning the SFNZ Conference that year? :) ).

Pam had bees, chickens, ducks, berries, a vege and herb garden that market gardeners would die for, and it was like visiting the Garden of Eden. Everything worked in harmony together and she was able to sell much of her produce, including crafts. It was so inspirational. Pam eventually moved to a larger patch up the line and unfortunately I've lost touch with her, but the memory of what she did with her small patch will stay with me forever.

So don't ever think you can't be just as effective and productive off your patch as those who have larger bits of land. It's not how much land you have, but what you can make it do for you. I'm really looking forward to hearing how things progress for you, so please keep posting. :D
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352745 by Sue
Hi and welcome sonyahj, yes plenty of chicken people here! I'll go and read your chicken question and answer it on there.

I know a lot of the heritage/rare breeds folks will want to start you off with fancy chickens, but for learning you can't go passed getting a couple of commercial layer hens to practice with!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352746 by sod
Welcome Sonya a lot of us started out that way and we have three grown up children that loved the whole chicken thing and our daughter had a pet rooster (Cuddles) that she took to school on pet day and got him to do tricks over in Otaki.
Mich she was on tv or was it in a mag??

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 8 months ago #352748 by sonyajh
Hi Sue, am I supposed to post my chicken questions somewhere specifically for chickens? oops - where would I find that area in the forum?

Thanks so much for the encouragement sod and mich, that lady pam sounds like a true inspiration! a lot of research must have gone into understanding the intricacies of how every aspect of her garden worked together with each other. wow.

More
11 years 7 months ago #352754 by hilldweller
Hello and welcome. I can't help you with chicken questions but an old villa on a quarter acre sounds lovely :) What's the section like? Any trees?

hilldweller

More
11 years 7 months ago #352757 by sonyajh
hi hilldweller, yes there's an ornamental plum (that may be pulled down as would prefer something 'fruitful', and a huge feijoa, must be ancient and is apparently prolific! yaya! an apricot, persimmon and a flowering cherry. there's lots of palms and pungas but they'll be going. you like old villas? :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #352759 by sod
How about a photo of your villa we have one too :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #352764 by tonic
hi there and welcome.

just post your chicken questions in the 'Your Place' forum. You will see there are also seperate forums for cooking and gardening, other topics etc but the animal questions go there.

More
11 years 7 months ago #352776 by The dream
Hi and welcome
We are on a quarter acre section dreaming of more but waiting for someone to buy our place [^]
Due to the layout of our section we can't have chooks, and meet the council bylaws unfortunately so at the moment I am just concentrating on the vege garden and fruit, and the cooking side of things until such time as we can have animals.
They're a great bunch on here too.

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
11 years 7 months ago #352777 by Mich

sod;342666 wrote:
Mich she was on tv or was it in a mag??

Sod, I think it was on TV and also in the local newspaper. But actually, this thread has tripped me down memory lane as it was at a SFNZ meeting at Pam's place that I first met Jen (Featherston) and I'm pretty sure Althea was there as well. :)

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
11 years 7 months ago #352780 by Jen - Featherston

Mich;342660 wrote: Hi Sonya - back in the days when Smallfarming New Zealand was still going, a friend won the New Zealand Smallfarmer of the Year 2002 with her quarter acre section right in the heart of Lower Hutt (Hey Jen, remember Pam McDowell and those chicken dinners we had with her and Sandy while planning the SFNZ Conference that year? :) ).

Pam had bees, chickens, ducks, berries, a vege and herb garden that market gardeners would die for, and it was like visiting the Garden of Eden. Everything worked in harmony together and she was able to sell much of her produce, including crafts. It was so inspirational. Pam eventually moved to a larger patch up the line and unfortunately I've lost touch with her, but the memory of what she did with her small patch will stay with me forever.

So don't ever think you can't be just as effective and productive off your patch as those who have larger bits of land. It's not how much land you have, but what you can make it do for you. I'm really looking forward to hearing how things progress for you, so please keep posting. :D
Cheers, Mich.

YES YES and YES what she said :D

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 7 months ago #352810 by LongRidge
sonya, welcome ..... but .....
If you haven't already done so, check with your Council that you are allowed to have chickens where you are. In Nelson there are rules about how many and no roosters in some places.

Time to create page: 0.344 seconds