Hi all from Thames

• Bry & co
11 years 8 months ago #24895 by Bry & co
Hi all from Thames was created by Bry & co
Howdy fellow lifestylers! I always have questions questions questions running thru my head ! What bantam won't scratch up my garden ? Is there such a creature? Should i get guinea fowl to eat the squillions of bugs devouring my feijoa trees or will i deeply regret such a move? Who has a buck i can take my goats to when the time comes? Who has some cayuga ducks for sale? etc etc etc.....:) :confused:
So i am looking forward to picking the experienced brains of those more practiced in such matters than I ! I have hope i may be of help to others - i'm getting pretty good at growing veges, and know a thing or two about herbs as i'm a trained herbalist.
We don't make money off our land but i do hope to sell some excess veg soon, We save a lot of money and eat a healthy diet by being self sufficient in meat , eggs, veges, and soon goat's milk . Love the country lifestyle , and must thrive on sheer hard slog 'cos we seem to do a lot of that! But we feel lucky to have a peice of peaceful paradise to work on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350376 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hi all from Thames
Hi and welcome Bry & co!
I hear tell that Pekin bantams are not as likely to scratch up your garden, and pretty too, but I'll let those that have them tell you for sure-or not!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350711 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi all from Thames
Hi from an ex-Thames -ite. Are you sure that bugs are eating the feijoas and not possums? We didn't have problems with feijoas and bugs .... many years ago.
I haven't kept guineafowl, but understand they are a bit hard to catch, so work out how you will do that if you get them.
Here, I have had to put a rabbit-proof fence around my vege garden. I suspect we would have had to do that at Kopu if we didn't have so many shooters on the farm. That would keep chickens out if the chickens had their wing feathers clipped now and then. Remember, only on one side.
bev in Te Aroha may know someone who knows someone handy with a buck for you to use in March for an August kidding.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350836 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Hi all from Thames
Hi Bry
we run a couple dozen of ducks in the orchard with our berry plants. Ducks don't scratch - though they will dig up a wet patch, weather permitting! they're a great bug police. We generally do not need to spray, except BTK once or twice some springs - not even every year. i've come to love duck eggs so much, i prefer them over hens eggs. and they are GREAT for baking. we've got some Cayugas, but also Pekings, Runners, Magpies, Silver Appleyards, Kaki Campbells and a Blue Swedish. Once i know which ones i like best, i'm dreaming of having the time to breed - yeah, well, sometime..[:o)]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 8 months ago #350902 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi all from Thames
By the time you figure out which ones are best you might have a bunch of crossbreds anyway, Blueberry.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350909 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Hi all from Thames

igor;340636 wrote: By the time you figure out which ones are best you might have a bunch of crossbreds anyway, Blueberry.

Don't worry, Igor - no boys allowed[;)] - i buy in from various breeders - either point of lay ducks, or fertile eggs for under one of our perpetually broody :( Rhode Island hens. in which case the boys go into the freezer at 14 weeks - or get sold off at the market.
once i know which breed(s) i want, i'll get serious - if ever i make up my mind.......

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 8 months ago #351232 by Bry & co
Replied by Bry & co on topic Hi all from Thames
Thanks to all who replied to my intro :) - yes LongRidge it is bronze beetles gobbling my feijoas - they wait until the buds are bursting then go to it on the flowers and leaves . If i don't do anything we lose the whole potential crop and the tree gets hammered. I have found spraying with Betta crop pyrethrum and garlic kills them - gotta do it every couple of days. Also Neem oil too -this year i am going to also spread neem granules under the trees underneath mulch as this apparently gets them in the soil where they hang out . It will be interesting to see if this knocks the population back. I was thinking about guinea fowl as a more long term permaculture type approach, but yes i have heard they can be hard to contain and are noisy which might not thrill the neighbours! I have heard say they are the best for beetle control cos they are really fast at catching them - i guess chooks would be pretty good too . Only trouble is i don;t want chooks in orchard as i can't fence it yet and they will destroy my vege patch - does anyone know if guinea fowl are scratchers like chooks or go for lovely lush veges?

More
11 years 8 months ago #351234 by Bry & co
thanks Sue and Blueberry too ! I have found some pekin bantams on trade me - i need them to be brooders so if they are well behaved they can hang out around the vege patch too - time will tell on that one! And Ducks i love also and have had in the past . Need to work on a duck enclosure and a way to stop them wandering too much . I had a lovely cayuga drake but he wandered down to the road and that was the end of him :( We have a great stream for them so i do want to get some more cayugas - if anyone knows of someone who breeds them? Love duck eggs and love having ducks around eating snails etc!

More
11 years 8 months ago #351309 by Bry & co
Eeek ! After doing some searching on the guinea fowl topic i think i will leave them alone! We have plenty of neighbours and would rather not upset them . I also doubt that i would cope well with screechy birds early in the morning At least with our new puppy he shuts up when you tell him to in the wee bleary hours ! Sounds like they will go for select veges too, that would make them even more unpopular with me! [:(!] My vege patch comes first!

More
11 years 8 months ago #352150 by lya1
Replied by lya1 on topic Hi all from Thames
Hi all, I have also read about Cayuga ducks, great for eating bugs etc according to the article. But do they destroy the vege garden? That's where my main problem is with bugs. Or are they better in the orchard? If that is the case, can they be housed with the chickens? My chicken coop is on the side of the orchard with an opening to the chicken run as well as an opening to the orchard so I can alternate and decide when they go where. That would be the only shelter for them. Also, can they be in the orchard when the pigs are in there in summer?

More
11 years 8 months ago #352166 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hi all from Thames
We've got ducks and chickens running together with no problems.
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with pigs in the orchard. I've seen pigs and chickens running together but I'm not sure I'd do it. My pigs like eggs too much.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352220 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi all from Thames
The late Miss Piggy (Babe to her friends) liked any meat ..... She bit the donkeys, the dog, and had a real nibble at a down lamb. With her "mum", the black mini horse ..... she knew she was mum because the horse is the same size and colour as Miss Piggy's mum was .... she was a bit more respectful after a few kicks. If your chooks/ducks/ fowl can kick really hard then they might be safe, but pigs can move really fast when they want to. Our mini-horse paddock, aka "the orchard", got well and truely ploughed by Babe.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds