Getting ready for a dry summer

More
11 years 9 months ago #24814 by Daproffessor
Hi, we live in Drury, managed to get through some low feed times successfully. Anybody ever tried to grow Lucerne up here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349505 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Getting ready for a dry summer
Hi Daproffessor sorry don't live there so no help

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 9 months ago #349512 by pkb
Replied by pkb on topic Getting ready for a dry summer
My brother-in-law grows it in Pukekohe.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349606 by LongRidge
There are a couple of problems that I know of about growing lucerne up there.
1. To keep the weeds and grass out, it has to be sprayed with the correct chemicals at the right time.
2. It has to be fertilised differently than grass. That is, it has different fertility requirements. This has to be sorted out well before planting to ensure the lucerne grows better than the unwanted grasses.
3. Making hay out of lucerne is really difficult. It must be done at exactly the right time. Too early and you get mouldy bales, too late and it turns to dust. So you have to have a contractor that is dedicated to your lucerne hay. Lucerne hay is also/usually very heavy, so you need assistants/assistance to get it into the shed.
4. It does not like set stocking ie the animals able to get into the paddock whenever they feel like it. It needs to be grazed, then allowed to re-grow, then grazed, etc.

It is grown moderately extensively down here, but even though I'm only working on the LSB I don't have the time or equipment to bother with it.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds