Sande, mother to an orphan lamb:)!!

More
11 years 9 months ago #24707 by Sande
Hi
I'm Sande I live in Rangiora area. We have a lefestyle block with 3 steers, 5 ewes, 1 ram , 1 whether, 1 orphan lamb ram, 3 dogs, 3 cats, chooks and geese. I am trying to find a contact for goats milk as my lamb cannot tolerate Anlamb milk powder and I am down to my last litre of goats milk and starting to panic. I need a supply in my area.

Thanks heaps
Sande

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348326 by kaybe
Sande, welcome to LSB. I saw your other thread saying he is a month old, but was premmie. Do you think by now he might be able to tolerate store-bought goat's milk?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348338 by Sande
He is small and behind the other lambs he isn't really nibbling grass yet so don't know. If I can't get fresh goats milk might try and get powdered milk. I have tried him on Anlamb again and he scours again.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348343 by kaybe
I know you can buy 'fresh' (ie. pasteurised not powdered) goats milk in cartons from the supermarket because lactose intolerant people drink it. I would think that would be better than powdered milk or Anlamb in an emergency, hopefully until ou can find a source of fresh.

Is there anyone has tried this out there?

The other suggestion would be to introduce the Anlamb slowly by mixing it with the goats milk you have left, a little more each time until he is on mostly Anlamb, and see if that works, then switch over completely. Start with maybe a 1/4 Anlamb and work up, giving a couple of days between each change for his rumen to adjust.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348346 by Stu_R
Welcome to LSB family Sande
Just a thought here .. terralee taught me on change over from cow Colostrum to anlamb which i did with my 2 ... to change over in stages so as to avoid tummy upsets like 1st day of change 75/25 colostrum to anlamb, next day 50/50 ,next day 25/75 and then on to straight anlamb ... and it worked perfectly here ... might be worth a try with the goats milk you have left, if the mix's work then you should be able to get it onto straight anlamb

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #348349 by Sande
Thank You. I am doing that now have done yesterday and today I'm half and halfing each bottle. He has 4 bottles 350ml a day. When should I start giving him 2 @ 500ml a day. I try each morning with 500ml but he still only takes 350ml! I guess he will let me know by drinking 500ml one morning, huh?

More
11 years 9 months ago #348358 by terralee

Sande;337766 wrote: Thank You. I am doing that now have done yesterday and today I'm half and halfing each bottle. He has 4 bottles 350ml a day. When should I start giving him 2 @ 500ml a day. I try each morning with 500ml but he still only takes 350ml! I guess he will let me know by drinking 500ml one morning, huh?

Never sande ...IMO 500mls is far too much for a lamb in one hit ...I think the Milk Replacer people say it to give a guide for busy farmers etc but I never go over 350mls in one feed ever.... if you can stick to more frequently smaller feeds your lamb will do better ........Once they start eating grass you will notice their tummy swells big and fast even only on 350 mls........tis enough[;)]
I don't usually have bottle babies die on me and I do NOT give that sort of amount in one feed .....stick to 350ml max if you can :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
11 years 8 months ago #349065 by Sande
Thank you for that. I got a new supply of Goats milk so have enough for about 12 days. I have been giving him 4 bottles a day and he won't drink anymore than 330-350mls a feed. So you are right there Terralee. He is 5 weeks old on Saturday. He has only just started eating grass and I have seen him drinking water out of the water container in the paddock so I thought I might cut him down to 3 bottles a day what do you think?

More
11 years 8 months ago #349068 by spoook
Ahhh Terralee, I love your thoughts on feeding the lamb. :D :D :D

I believe in imitating nature best I can .... little and often.
I am stunned by the amount the packets say the lamb / kid should be drinking each feed. If I tried to give that to some of my angora kids ....:eek: I reckon the bottle would be bigger than the kid.[:0]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 8 months ago #349421 by eldos
I give my orpans Anlamb after 2 days powdered colostrum only, introducing Anlamb slowly increasing ration so by one week old on An lamb only, note normal for a animal on goats milk to scour on cows milk (which is what An lamb is really) just needs slow introduction onto Anlamb gradually increasing amt very slowly to build up lactose tolerance. Could try a goats cheese maker, to source some milk as they may be happy to sell you some from their intake.
My lambs have 100 ml X 6 feeds first few days, then 150ml X 6 feeds for two weeks, then 250 mls X 4 up to five weeks, then once I notice they eating not just nibbling grass etc, drop this to 300-350 ml X 3 for another couple weeks then to 500 ml X 2 up to 3 months. Sometimes continue at least one bottle at night up to 4 months if feel need to grow more. Never lost a lamb through overfeeding, pet lambs often over feed at a time and stomachs just cannot handle quantity and they vomit it up into their lungs, get lung infection and die. Notice pet bottle feed lambs slower to eat grass, as not around their mums to learn from, we use few pellets scattered in a lamb pen onto grass and fodder tress to nibble to encourage them to eat around three week mark once I notice they seem more interested in food not milk. All my pet lambs have grown exactly the same rate as ewe feed lambs, with strong bones. Babies need calcuim to grow strong healthy bones and fibre animals need protein to grow nice fleece.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349467 by LongRidge
Like eldos, we too have found little and often hugely safer for the lamb. We more or less follow eldos' routine except never go to 500ml. The risk of milk overflowing out of the abomasum and into the rumen when the space in the abomasum has been made small by lots of grass in the rumen, is just too high. We lost 2 bottlefed lambs last year by my not realising that they had already had their bottle and had drunk another lambs bottle too. They were fine for 1 hour, stone dead in 2 hours.
Any change of food will cause a lamb stomach upsets. I was feeding cow colostrum for a while (while she would let me milk her ....). The change to Anlamb had to be done gradually for the lambs to get used to the flavour, and the gut to get used to the change. If you want to get the lamb off the expensive goat milk and onto cheaper Anlamb then gradually change over say 5 days, with 20% Anlamb, 80% goat one day, 40;60 next .... etc.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds