Steve Sharon

More
11 years 9 months ago #24505 by sswilson
Steve Sharon was created by sswilson
Hi, we have recently purchased a lifestye block in Mangawhai, a beautiful spot minutes to the Surf and surrounded by vineyards and olive groves.
We have started building and have the slab down, the aim is to have the house built over the next 2 years, as we can afford it.

We will develop the block at the same time. So far we have fenced off a paddock for livestock and have 3 whiteface yearlings, we have had from weiners. For a couple of townies this has been quite an experience, but with great neighbours who have helped us out a heck of a lot we have enjoyed the experience.

We are planting out natives at the moment to enhance the property and also as part of our drainage field for our self dosing syphoning treatment system.
We are planning on growing around 150 feijoa's in the house paddock next year, I need to research an appropriate variety that will be suitable in the area, I know grapes and olives are not a good indicator of fertility, I'm not sure what is good for feijoa's.

As you can tell our experience and knowledge is minimal but our enthusiasm is abundant, still at the dreamers stage which I hope doesn't diminish too much. We look forward to discussing and sharing our experience's
Steve & Sharon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345868 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Steve Sharon
Hi S & S, welcome. FYI, I think you mean "weaners" . Weiners (sausages) or weiner schnitzel is what they turn into :-)
Feijoas like dry feet but some moisture over summer. They grow on a wide range of soil types. Feijoas were trialled commercially down here but the market was so restricted that they are now more-or-less only grown for home use. We have 2 bushes which provide us with heaps during the season from mid-April into June. Unfortunately they don't store or freeze well, so could be a problem to grow commercially.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345880 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Steve Sharon
Hi Steve & Sharon, welcome to the site. Good luck with realising your dream :-)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345962 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Steve Sharon
Hello and welcome. Good to see people from our old stomping grounds. We lived in Wellsford (closer to Te Hana)

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 8 months ago #351562 by sswilson
Replied by sswilson on topic Steve Sharon
Thank you longridge, I did mean weaners not sausages, The only reason I'm looking at feijoas is beside seeming to grow without effort, any surplus can be processed into chutneys and my favorite feijoa wine. Sorry about the late reply had computer problems have only managed to open site.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds