Hi from Australia

More
11 years 10 months ago #24200 by ozieite
Hi from Australia was created by ozieite
I live in Western Australia on a vineyard (winery) which pretty much keeps us on the go full time, in my spare time i like gardening, Fishing when i can, and have 3 birds 1 dog and a poddy lamb only 2 weeks old, plus chooks and a pet alpaca... I was wondering if anyone could please give me some info on the poddy lamb, she was given to me, and apparently she was one of twins, and the mother never bothered with her didn't even clean her just left her in the paddock.. i don't think she had any collostrum,when i got her she was about 4 days old i had to teach her to suck, and for a couple of days she was going ok, and running around with the dog, i keep her inside by the fire but have her out side in the daytime when i have time to watch her.. but the last couple of days she doesn't want her bottle, i more or less force her to feed only small amounts often.. and she now cannot get up by herself, i have to lift her up and wait until she is steady on her legs before i can let her go, it is like she has forgotten how to walk, or her legs are just stiffening up on her. Everyone says why do i bother she is just a lamb, but being the animal lover that i am, i will keep perservering with her hoping she comes good. If anyone can offer me any suggestions , or knows whats happening to her, i would appreciate if you could answer this post or email me please.. Thanks heaps to any one that can help. Ozieite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #342648 by LESLEYH
Replied by LESLEYH on topic Hi from Australia
Hi, welcome. Go into the YOUR PLACE forum and type in "sick lamb". We have had many discussions on this very topic the last week or so. It appears that the general consensus was antiobiotic injections and a vet visit.

Your friends may say that it is only a lamb, but they become very dependant and family very quicky. Do a search and you will find great advice and suggestions of what to do.

If you want to save your little girl you will need antibiotics :)

cheers

LESLEY

More
11 years 10 months ago #342746 by ozieite
Replied by ozieite on topic Hi from Australia
Thanks Lesley for your reply to my plea for help, yes i somehow knew that she would probably need antibiotics, was just trying to see if any one knew why it was happening.? Your right about them quickly becoming part of the family, my little doggy loves her to bits, it is surprising how fast they have taken to each other.. Thanks once again i really appreciate your input..

Kindest Regards ozieite... :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #342747 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hi from Australia
As Lesley says, antibiotics from a veterinary surgeon very quickly. He/she will probably have to view the lamb before prescibing anything, so take it to the nearest vet that is experienced with sheep. It will require a series of injections , which are quite difficult in a lamb, so ask the vet to show you how to do it.
What has probably happened is that where it was born the ground had some bugs in it. some of these bugs will have got into the navel and just sat there until something happened, and/or moved around the body and some settled in the joints, or gut, or lungs or anywhere. Now enough have grown that an infection has begun.
One way to reduce the risk of this happening is to spray iodine on the navel at the first possible moment after birth. Minutes is better than hours which is better than days which is better than weeks .... But this is not foolproof. We have our first lamb which has started limping a week after birth ... and being sprayed.

More
11 years 10 months ago #342784 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Hi from Australia
ozieite, good luck with your lamb. They are lovely pets. I haven't had any experience with navel ill as yet but as LR says, it does sound like this is what your little girl is suffering from.

What sort of wine do you make? One of my fave WA reds is Cape Mentelle's Zinfandel.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 10 months ago #342791 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Hi from Australia
Stick her in a cat carry cage and take her to the vets to save the cost of a house call - just make sure there will be a vet on duty who knows about more than cats and dogs! [;)] And be prepared for funny looks from other pet owners in the waiting room as your pet baaas!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• pansy22
11 years 10 months ago #343161 by pansy22
Replied by pansy22 on topic Hi from Australia
Hello friends i am pansy from USA....i am new to this forum and at that time i am just introducing me..... :D

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds