More
11 years 10 months ago #24122 by Kawatiri
New Member was created by Kawatiri
Hi from Kawatiri.Just clearing a 65acre block of broom ,Have goats and me srub cutter.So Hi there

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #341775 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic New Member
Go goats! :D :D Welcome to the forum!

More
11 years 10 months ago #341787 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New Member
Hi Kawatiri. Welcome aboard.
You might consider a few beef cattle to graze the broom in conjunction with the goats. My highlander cross loves it and the dairy goats seek it out in preference to grass. I do not consider a little bit of broom to be a problem. I factor it into my feed budget. Different story if you have mostly broom and very little else though.

More
11 years 10 months ago #341857 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New Member
I've found a scrub cutter to be an absolute waste of time if not followed up within 20 minutes with painting the stumps with 1;20 Grazon;diesel. Easier still is to spray with Grazon or the correct Tordon, then push the dead bush over in about a year.
The problem with using goats to control weeds is that the fences have to be good enough to keep a rabbit contained, and the weeds grazed so hard that about 20% of the goats die of starvation. A wee nibble now and then just makes the bushes grow taller.
The broom is growing well because the fertility is right for it to grow, and wrong for grass to grow. With goats there is no point in fertilising for clover. To get the grass growing better and the broom growing less well, a soil test will show you that your land needs lots more phosphate and lots more nitrate. If you don't change those by fertilising (I would start by putting on 200kg/ ha of DAP .... yes, it can be done by hand) and by applying lime to bring the pH up to what grass likes (that must be done by truck or air), all that will happen with your clearing is the broom seeds will grow.
If you wish to visit, I can show you a paddock that has been cut 3 times in the last 20 years, but not followed up with enough fertiliser. And it is grazed by goats.

More
11 years 10 months ago #341897 by igor
Replied by igor on topic New Member
LR, it is possible to sow lime by hand. It is just very hard work and takes a long time.

More
11 years 10 months ago #342116 by Kawatiri
Replied by Kawatiri on topic New Member

Andrea;330211 wrote: Go goats! :D :D Welcome to the forum!

Many thanks Andrea ,Yes we have milking goats .which are doing an excellant job.many thanks

More
11 years 10 months ago #342118 by Kawatiri
:p

igor;330226 wrote: Hi Kawatiri. Welcome aboard.
You might consider a few beef cattle to graze the broom in conjunction with the goats. My highlander cross loves it and the dairy goats seek it out in preference to grass. I do not consider a little bit of broom to be a problem. I factor it into my feed budget. Different story if you have mostly broom and very little else though.

Thanks igor we did have an angus bull living with the goats ,HE THOUGHT HE WAS A GOAT UNTILL HE WAS RUN OVER,Yes ican live with broom and often wonder in drought prone canterbury why they dont sow it. By cutting my broom down with a scrub cutter has left the native grasses .So this has given me alot of feed rather than smothering it also iburnt my broom that gave potash which i spreed then feed hay on .

More
11 years 10 months ago #342144 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic New Member
I love your area of the country, BTW, one of my favourites spots in my drives around the South Island.

We're not allowed to propagate broom, but we have one wee stand right next to the goat's laneway out to their grazing, and they just love it - they keep it in check!

What breed of goats, out of curiosity? Our main milking ones are Toggs. :D :D

More
11 years 10 months ago #342464 by Kawatiri
.Saanen Nubian cross ,bot have just got a young toggy billy .now looking for a boar billy.Yes it is great part of country thx

More
11 years 10 months ago #342511 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic New Member
Boer. Where you are, I personally would keep well away from Boers. The ground and weather is far too wet, and see my posts to Roswitha about our 15 year nightmare with Boers.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds