Goat girl

More
11 years 10 months ago #23993 by Tineke
Goat girl was created by Tineke
Hey hey!!

I am a young lass of early 20's with my own patch of grass (20ac) in the beautiful Marlborough region. I am lucky enough to live next door to my ma & pa who farm aprox 2000ac another 20K/M up the road from myself. I have grown up with Merino sheep & Angus cattle & now want to start farming Angora goats on my wee farmlet (much to my fathers horror). Ok, ok, I MAY still have the odd sheep running round too.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a lot of the angora goats being farmed at the top of the South Island - so any help with actually GETTING the goats would be much appreciated!

I also LOVE to bake - so will be keeping up to date on the kitchen forums!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340160 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Goat girl
Welcome Tineke, good choice angora. :D Good choice, goats anyway. We have 60, soon to be more as soon as kidding starts [;)]
I can't help with stock for you, maybe contact the local mohair buyer, he will have his finger on the pulse of what is available.
Good luck......

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 10 months ago #340893 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Goat girl
Hi and welcome Tineke, good choice angoras, I have twenty five at present and even with that few they pay for them selves pretty much in fibre sales $ 1000.00 last year, ok so no profit but better than sheep by miles, as for finding them you should speak to john at Mohair fibres in Aukland he will certainly know if anyone near you has goats to sell, otherwise there is a big producer up the road from me but we are in Central Hawkes bay which is half way up north island! good luck and dont be afraid to ask anything because there will certainly be a whole host of opinions that can help you reach your own decisions.

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340896 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Goat girl
Hi Tineke and welcome to lsb :D

You could subscribe to Goat News, they often have adverts with angoras for sale. It's a great publication for goat farmers throughout NZ - mainly Angora and Boer farmers but there are some Dairy Goat Farmers as well. It's published every two months and has information about the goat industry as well as events and information from overseas. Subscription is $38.00 per year which allow free classified adverts. The proceeds of the newsletter go to sponsor a goat flock in Mozambique which has now built up to about 80 animals. The newsletter has been published for 5-6 years now.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds