Another lurker in the shadows

More
12 years 7 hours ago #23586 by igor
Hi Everybody.
After frequenting this very interesting website for a couple of years I finally joined up a few months ago.
My wife and I live with our young family on a 2.5 acre farmlet in South Otago. The property is a bit run down but if it wasn't we wouldn't have been able to afford to buy it.
We run a few each of goats, sheep, pigs, and cattle along with a varied assortment of hens and ducks. My wife is a keen gardener. We are attempting, with some success, to be self sufficient in meat, milk, eggs, and vegetables. The place is just big enough to wish that it was a bit bigger but with my fulltime job I don't have time do to all the farm jobs that need to be done so development works are progressing very slowly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 hours ago #335917 by Andrea1
Welcome, igor!

You sound like us, only we started on this run-down block later in life. Only regret is that we didn't start sooner! We've been self-sufficient-ish for about 15 years now, each time moving up (twice so far) to a larger block. 4 ha now, and wishing we had more space, simply for growing more of our own livestock fodder. Wouldn't want to expand numbers at all.

DH with full time work away from the farm and me with a bad back mean things take a reeeeeeeeally long time, which can be frustrating at times.

Good luck with everything!

More
12 years 2 hours ago #335919 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Another lurker in the shadows
Hi Igor and thanks for the introduction :D

However much time you have and however big your block the work always seems to expand to fill, and over-fill, the time available [}:)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds