Hello hello

More
12 years 3 days ago #23459 by DT
Hello hello was created by DT
Dave & Hazel fresh off the boat from London. We have just over 2.5 acres in Hawkes Bay. In time, we hope to build up something of a menagerie of 'farm animals' and pets. So far all we have are four wiltshire ewes and enough wood to build the chook house.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 days ago #334280 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hello hello
Hi Dave & Hazel and welcome to both NZ and lsb :D

I'm assuming you've also got chooks or is the chook house for the ewes [;)] You're obviously going to fit in well as you're calling them chooks already. It took me years to stop calling them chickens [:I]

If there is anything we can help with just let us know :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 days ago #334284 by DT
Replied by DT on topic Hello hello
Thanks Kate.

No we haven't got the chooks yet. The plan is to buy and incubate some eggs once the chook house is up.

More
12 years 3 days ago #334295 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Hello hello
:) welcome to the site DT :)
Always heaps of good people here and lots of very knowgable people :)
No question is to silly if you want to know and learn something
:) always bound to be someone on here that knows the answer :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 days ago #334380 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello hello
Unless you have got irrigation, 4 ewes and chickens will be plenty of animals on 2 acres in HB. If the ewes are in lamb for lambing from early August, you might have just enough grass to get the lambs up to weight to be gone early January, when the grass disappears for 3 months.

More
12 years 2 days ago #334421 by Georgeboy
Replied by Georgeboy on topic Hello hello

DT;321447 wrote: Dave & Hazel fresh off the boat from London. We have just over 2.5 acres in Hawkes Bay. In time, we hope to build up something of a menagerie of 'farm animals' and pets. So far all we have are four wiltshire ewes and enough wood to build the chook house.

Wellcome to NZ, I landed about 36 years ago seems like yesturday....really time moves much faster here in NZ because everyone is enjoying life instead of complaining!!!!, still can't believe how lucky I am to be here. Ask any questions......most of us have been there!! :)

2x white Galloway steers, 6 Hens, 3 x Rhodesian Ridgebacks, 1x Boarder Collie and 2 x Cats.......500 Possums!:rolleyes:

More
12 years 2 days ago #334475 by DT
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. We're looking forward to hopefully being active members on the forum. ...and we'll definitely have heaps of questions down the line.

LongRidge;321561 wrote: Unless you have got irrigation, 4 ewes and chickens will be plenty of animals on 2 acres in HB. If the ewes are in lamb for lambing from early August, you might have just enough grass to get the lambs up to weight to be gone early January, when the grass disappears for 3 months.

Thanks for confirming my calculations. Strictly speaking we have more than just the 2 acres as we have bought the sheep as a joint venture with neighbours who have about 5 acres of grazing. Between us we have no other animals at the moment. We have a 25000 liter rain tank just for irrigation, and plan to really look after the soil to get the most out of what we have.

More
11 years 11 months ago #335166 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello hello
Me the pessimist/realist again. By my calculations, a 25000 litre rainwater tank will supply enough water to irrigate your place with 1/2 inch ..... once only. In Hawkes Bay with it's very irregular and low summer rainfall, to keep the grass growing you will need at least 3/4 inch weekly. So to provide irrigation with rainwater you will need water storage of about 16 tanks (400,000 litres). So I repeat .... don't overstock.

More
11 years 11 months ago #335244 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Hello hello
Welcome, this place is getting fuller and fuller of "POMS" so you should feel right at home :D:D hope you have lota fun on your block of money soaking ground

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 11 months ago #335307 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Hello hello
Welcome to NZ! Chooks can be very addictive, and great time wasters! Lots of different breeds of chooks here - well worth researching or I'm sure a number of us on here can come up with a list for you to consider along with their attributes :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #335583 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Hello hello
Welcome.
The average rain for Hawkes Bay can depend on whereabouts you are.
Beware offers of free roosters :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #335692 by DT
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337117 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Hello hello
Gday dave and hazel and welcome, which bit of HB are you in? were in CHB four years off the boat from blighty but still feels fresh! I would agree with LR that water wont go far! it dont rain much round here so unless you are also on town or bore water you will need all that and more just to water the stock and have a shower now and again, you dont really appreciate water back in uk we learnt that real quick!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337646 by DT

mikethebike;324702 wrote: Gday dave and hazel and welcome, which bit of HB are you in? were in CHB four years off the boat from blighty but still feels fresh! I would agree with LR that water wont go far! it dont rain much round here so unless you are also on town or bore water you will need all that and more just to water the stock and have a shower now and again, you dont really appreciate water back in uk we learnt that real quick!

Thanks again for the welcome.
We're not worried about water for ourselves as we're on town supply. We're also going halvies with the neighbours on any stock we buy, and they have heaps more land than we do for grazing. We're entering into things very cautiously – hence only 4 ewes so far...

More
11 years 11 months ago #338187 by donnybrook
Replied by donnybrook on topic Hello hello
Hi & welcome from us too. We're just down the road in Dannevirke where it nearly always rains! Or blows! We have 2 acres & have just got our 1st saanen. We also have a Scruffy dog, 3 cats & 2 heifers, Patricia the pig & one Mother in law! Whoops, how did she get in there? Had 4 kids, all grown & left home so we rattle around a bit. Not from England! I'm from Ongaonga, wife originally from Christchurch which is about as English as you can get. I grew up on a farm, sheep & cattle as well as cropping.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds