Hello All

More
10 years 10 months ago #396173 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Hello All
Hi and welcome!
I doubt if you will find any Delawares in NZ, unless someone has recreated them here! I see they are derived from Barred Rock and New Hampshire in the USA originally, but seem to be a white feathered sport, similar to Light Sussex.

You may have a chance of finding Exchequer Leghorns, try the breeders listed in the Rare Breeds Society. Inger is the rare breeds match maker on here!
Or enquire on this site www.rotherhampoultry.com/leghorn.html

Just a point though, White Shavers are a commercial hybrid and are no longer produced commercially in NZ! If you happen to have any they are either very old originals, or the product of mating commercial White Shaver hens to other birds-like White leghorns.
The Shaver White, like all commercial hybrids is a composite strain cross, it cannot be reproduced other than by the franchised breeder that imports the parent strains and the name is trademarked. I know that the last true Shaver Whites were hatched more than 2 years ago!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #396219 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Hello All
Welcome to the forum Kenny.

More
10 years 9 months ago #396645 by Hani Jami - Eggs on Legs
Replied by Hani Jami - Eggs on Legs on topic Hello All
hello, welcome - i find this site very useful :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #34009 by jasl4
Replied by jasl4 on topic hello all
hi all fist thing i would like to say would be i am so very happy to find this site wow what helpfull people and great advice :D rite to introduce myself now i guess. my partner,2 kids and i have just got our self's our very own lsb in rakaia its a bare block we were first going to do a barn style house but that proved to be to much for the brain and budget so have decided to got with relocating at this stage. so i guess if anyone has any handy hints on relocating and what to watch out for would be great. at the moment we are renting a tiny weeeee 2 bed cottage wile we develop our block :D also any handy hints on how to get started would be great to e.g do you get your sevices in first or do that all at the same time as the building consent any advice would be great. in the mean time i will keep the google running :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #449807 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic hello all
Hi and welcome, new here too, now in Dunsandel. Don't want to put you off, but relocating I've heard in the Selwyn district is a head ache. A friend did it with a new pre-built house from a company, and says, never again. So I would suggest you do huge research on that one, so you know what your in for. All the best with your piece of land, gonna be fun.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 7 months ago #449889 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic hello all
Hi and welcome,dont know much about relocating but i would imagine Deanna would be spot on when saying do ya research,gees there's just so much red tape now days.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
8 years 11 months ago #35908 by Susie147
Replied by Susie147 on topic Hello all
I have a job at the moment which I travel 40km per milking x 2 per day and are paid $16.50 per hour (max 4 hours) for milking in a hearing bone 38 aside. and not sure what the going rate is. I have had alot of experience for most of my life being 40 + (age). Mostly I have had more rotary sheds and found the mastitus better that that in a hearing bone shed. I don't know why? If anyone can give me any info that would be most most appreciated thank you.

Kind Regards
Susanne:rolleyes:

More
8 years 11 months ago #469608 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Hello all
You travel 80km/day for maximum gross pay of $66? If that's what you mean, you're not earning money, you're just buying fuel.

What info specifically do you want?

More
8 years 11 months ago #469614 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hello all
I've worked in three different kinds of sheds, Walk through, Herringbone and Rotary and I wouldn't say the rate of mastitis any either higher or lesser in any of these sheds. There are many variables that can influence things like mastitis. Everything from the cow to cross contamination.
Do you wash pre milking or not wash, udder spray or not, carry the bacteria yourself, or not.....just so many things.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #469967 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Hello all
contact federated farmers www.fedfarm.org.nz/

or even your local ag ito person who will have an idea of going rates possibly

or dairy nz

what part of the country are you in & how many cows is it?

I think you are being taken for a ride

I know sole charge 200 cows incl drenching was around 65-75 per milking a couple of years ago, not sure on rates these days

mastitis wont be the type of shed it will be the employees or the cows, think how many cows touch the first set of cups after the first cow... if shes up in the first row every day for a few days or a week before someone realises she has mastitis imagine how many cows would have touched that set of cups then other sets during that time

do you teat spray? is the mixing rate strong enough?

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds