Red bands swannie warming up

More
13 years 8 months ago #23276 by Country Lifer
Hello, I am an older lady trying to hang onto a country living lifestyle by the skin of my fingernails. Not just because gardening and caring for animals is so good for the health (mental & physical) but I do like it.

I am caring for a beautiful looking Togg. doe (Millie) good head and udder, a darker than usual coat and tassels etc who is getting on in years tho. still young enuf. to get in kid. She has never been kidded or been milked. She did have a friend (another doe, who had an undershot jaw and very short legs, and two untrained animals was a bit much- so I have found that one a loving and kind home where she is very happy). They were in a place with little shelter, water or care. She is missing her friend and still wants to play using me to click/clack heads with at times.

I want to get Millie in kid, but know of no-one near where I am (Hauraki Plains) who might allow her to be put to their buck (haven't actually asked but having had goats before I do know that a horned animal can be a problem - especially if they are untrained and unused to being in a herd.

Anyway, I did get a message about a year ago from a neighbour about a couple who had called by, and liked the look of her, said they were breeders and would like to breed from her, but never heard back from them and they didn't leave a contact number.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #332141 by Andrea1
Hi, Country Lifer, and welcome to LSB. You might like to get in touch with the New Zealand Dairy Goat Breeders Assn. They may be able to put you in touch with someone from that area who would have a suitable buck. Being an older doe, it may be hard for her to become pregnant, because as they age they tend to build up fat around the reproductive organs that can interfere with them becoming pregnant. How old is she? I think the longest I've waited to breed a doe is 4 years, and I've never had any trouble, and I've a friend who bred an 11-yr-old doe for the first time. The doe had twins and was quite happy mothering them! So, there is hope!

nzdgba.co.nz/

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 8 months ago #332151 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Red bands swannie warming up
Hi Country Lifer :)
Welcome to the site :)
:) ask on the your place forum :) and am sure lots of goat people from up north will be able to help you :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds