City girl gone country

• Kamaka01
12 years 1 month ago #23014 by Kamaka01
City girl gone country was created by Kamaka01
Hello all, introducing myself as city girl gone country because its true. The commercial banker married a farmer. Anyway, 2 babies later, went to find work and couldn't find any out rural so started my own business - Angora Goat Farming. So far to date, I have 66 beautiful new babies and have learned alot along the way. Looking forward to being part of this and increasing my knowledge in farming in general.

Cheers :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #329372 by kate
Replied by kate on topic City girl gone country
Hi Kamaka01 and welcome to lsb :D

Great to hear you're an angora goat farmer. They're lovely animals and a great option for a lifestyle farm :D

Are you cross grazing your goats with cattle or sheep?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #329377 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic City girl gone country
Welcome Kamaka01, good choice angora goats, can be a lot of work but so worth while. :D
Currently we have 60 goats, more to come soon [;)], 2 bucks have been running with the does for a while now.
We have just finished shearing, foot trimming and treating for lice [xx(], nasty things.

Where abouts are you?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

• Kamaka01
12 years 1 month ago #329448 by Kamaka01
Replied by Kamaka01 on topic City girl gone country
Hi Kate,
they are currently grazing on a property with cattle, we run the goats over first, then the cattle. Seems to be working great.

• Kamaka01
12 years 1 month ago #329536 by Kamaka01

spoook;315936 wrote: Welcome Kamaka01, good choice angora goats, can be a lot of work but so worth while. :D
Currently we have 60 goats, more to come soon [;)], 2 bucks have been running with the does for a while now.
We have just finished shearing, foot trimming and treating for lice [xx(], nasty things.

Where abouts are you?

Hi there, snap! sounds just like us. We are based in North Canterbury - Quite looking forward to the baby kids coming soon. Heard from someone that if you keep all your old woolen socks they make great kid coats!

More
12 years 1 month ago #329538 by kate
There is nothing in this world as cute as an angora kid... :D :D

Web Goddess

• Kamaka01
12 years 1 month ago #329539 by Kamaka01

Kate;315929 wrote: Hi Kamaka01 and welcome to lsb :D

Great to hear you're an angora goat farmer. They're lovely animals and a great option for a lifestyle farm :D

Are you cross grazing your goats with cattle or sheep?

Cheers
Kate

Hi Kate, still getting used to the ins and outs of this forum so i apologise if you get this message twice! We are running cattle, so basically we run the goats over the property 1st then the Herefords.

More
12 years 1 month ago #329540 by kate
Don't apologise - you'll get the hang of it in no time and no-one here will give you a bad time :D

We had angora goats and are planning to have them again very soon...but the drought and not being able to sell a property are slowing us down. We will cross graze with cattle too.

Angora goats are my favourite animals...apart from my cats of course [}:)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #329542 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic City girl gone country

Kamaka01;316111 wrote: Hi Kate, still getting used to the ins and outs of this forum so i apologise if you get this message twice! We are running cattle, so basically we run the goats over the property 1st then the Herefords.

Aha! :D You see, the way of this place is that if you mention goats you get one set of replies, then if you mention horses you'll get another lot, and as soon as you mention cattle, you instantly appeal to another part of the community! :D

More
12 years 1 month ago #329600 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic City girl gone country
Then there are a few of us with donkeys. If you feel like an ass, send me a PM ..... we've got about 10 of the 17 looking for a good home. Donkeys love barley grass and other weeds that goats don't bother with. They would follow along behind the cattle admirably.

• Kamaka01
12 years 1 month ago #329655 by Kamaka01
Yes, angora's are great, nice animals and easy peesy for a girl like me to handle. We are coming up to our 1st kidding season though truth be told, Im just a wee bit nervous. has anyone got any good tips?

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #331638 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic City girl gone country
Kamaka - if you have any kidding troubles or worries, I'm happy to help.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #331643 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic City girl gone country
Of course, photos of the new kids are obligatory.

As well as woollen socks, keep your bread bags. These will keep the sock coats dry when you cut holes in the appropriate places.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #331646 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic City girl gone country
Welcome, the more goat lovers the better. My dream is to own a farm with angoras and cattle, however for the moment it's just me and the 14 pet goats instead :D

Molasses ad lib is a great way to cut down on any metabolic problems in the last month of pregnancy.

• Kamaka01
12 years 3 weeks ago #331735 by Kamaka01
Thanks everyone - I will say something for people who own goats - they are always willing to help out with advice - Thumbs up you guys!! The bucks are being picked up tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds