Hi from the new gal on the block

More
12 years 1 month ago #22880 by city gal
Hi
I am a city gal who is about to fulfil mine and my partners dream of owning a little lifestlye block we are looking at buying 71/2 acres near invercargill
My partner knows a little about farming however i don't this is why i have joined i have a list of things a mile long of all the things i wish and dream about for the farm
first thing first is Can anyone let me know how many cattle we could have on this land

thanks look forward to many great discussions

City Gal :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #327822 by kate
Hi City Gal and welcome to lsb :D

Congratulations on your new adventure, I'm sure you'll love it!

To help answer your question, how many acres of grazing will you have on your block and is it fenced into paddocks?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #327824 by sod
Hi welcome. Maybe some one local to you will be able to help on that one as there are lots of things to take into account as Kate said have fun ask lots of things

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 1 month ago #327881 by LongRidge
Some of the things affecting the number of stock that can be run.
The age. Young animals need to be fed very well, adult animals only need maintenance rations.
The breed. Big animals need more food than little animals. Also some breeds can handle cold weather and rank food much better than others.
The lie of the land. Northerly slopes grow more grass than southerly or easterly ones.
In Southland there is likely to be very seasonal grass growth. Can you make hay or square baleage when there is surplus, and store it to feed it out when there is shortage?
Have you access to cattle-strength yards? If no, then your answer is Zero at present, until that is sorted. I used sheep yards for a while, but the cattle broke them so easily, and jumped out so easily, that I soon built some cattle yards.
Do you intend to breed or to fatten store stock? Calves and yearlings tend to be more frisky than adult cows, so can be more frustrating to muster, and escape easier.

More
12 years 1 month ago #327961 by city gal
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply i think that i will wait till we are set up on teh farm then will start to get a feel for things then can start to think about more animals just starting with some chooks sshould get me away then can look into other animals
i have lots of learning ahead of me now all i need is the nice warm fire and a good book on farming

[^]

More
12 years 1 month ago #328108 by LongRidge
I have found "Farm Technical Manual", ed PH Fleming, Farm Management Group, PO Box 84, Lincoln University, very useful.

More
12 years 1 month ago #328961 by dhstuart
Hi city girl! I've just joined as well. We moved out to our small farm in the Hawkes Bay ranges 21 years ago, but are reluctantly in the process of selling it as my husband has a new job in the Bay of Plenty - but we've already got our eye on another place up there.
We run sheep, chooks and ducks as the ground is too soft for cattle - and they would wreck our spring fed water supply and eat all the natives we've planted!

Have you looked at Highland cattle as an option?
Check out the TB status locally as well - we had a problem here until they blitzed the possums....
Cheers!
datnz

More
12 years 1 month ago #328967 by kate
Hi datnz and welcome to lsb :D

It must be a nightmare to move after 21 years. We recently moved after 12 years and I couldn't believe how much 'stuff' we'd accumulated [:I] The house 'stuff' was bad enough but the farm 'stuff' was even worse. Funny how sheds fill up so quickly...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #329006 by sod
Kate thats why we now are using shipping containers:D:D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 1 month ago #329011 by Xartep
Lists are great... :p
Just remember that on a lifestyle block they are always "a mile long" you can always find something to add, and sometimes you feel like a slave to "The List".
Don't forget to have fun, and love your life.
Good Luck I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 1 month ago #329014 by kate
Talking about lists....keep your old lists even when you make new ones. We found some old lists when we were moving and had forgotten how many things we managed to cross off. It's good to remember sometimes how much you have achieved, not just how much is still to be achieved [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 1 month ago #330520 by lea
Shelter belts in Invers is good lol We are still working on ours. Don't worry about stock until you have basics in.
"Small farming in NZ" by Trisha Fisk is one good book we were recommended.

Living on our 5 acres of land. Busy fencing and planting. Have dogs, cats and chickens. We also have cattle, sheep, goats, and geese.
Full-time working + plus full-time on the block. [|)]

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds