Rabbit problem

More
12 years 2 months ago #22773 by Des
Rabbit problem was created by Des
I have a small 1.5 acre block that is starting to be overrun with rabbits, in particular they are destroying the grass in the main paddock. I have a good air rifle but cannot get close enough for a shot as they take off at the slightest sound, while I am told that poison is a bit hit n' miss. Any practical ideas anyone?

A friend suggested I get a dog, would this help, if so what breed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326535 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Rabbit problem
Hi Des and welcome to lsb :D

We use Pindone poison to keep our rabbit population down. Many people have Jack Russells or Fox Terriers to keep the rabbit population down but dogs in the country can also chase other things...like chooks [}:)]

If your neighbours aren't also trying to keep the rabbits down then you'll have ongoing problems so maybe talk to them and get a plan between you to deal with the problem.

Cheers and good luck
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 2 months ago #326617 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Rabbit problem
We used to have 5 cats, but 4 of them were Persians so absolutely useless at catching rabbits. We still have Mister Tigglesworth (or Mister to his friends), but as he's 12 yo now he has been slacking a bit so the rabbit population is getting up a bit. But then again, he might be farming them so that come Spring when the rabbit harvesting starts we will hear the squeal of a kit at 9pm, then again at 10pm, then again etc,etc until the burrow is empty :-). Now that cat has almost paid his way ....

More
12 years 2 months ago #326622 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic Rabbit problem
The rabbits aren't gonna be worried about property boundaries, so if you have them, your neighbours probably well too. So a suggestion is to talk to your neighbours about a solution. Coordinate and then maybe get someone you trust with a silenced .22 that can access surrounding properties as well as yours in one evening. Have been to small properties for rabbits shooting and they soon learn to sit on the other side of the boundary fence that you can't shoot onto as you don't have permission.

More
12 years 2 months ago #326796 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Rabbit problem
Our neighbours have lots of rabbits, we have none now. Until we brought our 6 cats to live here, we had lots too - dreadful damage to plants, trees. We have photos of our cats with fully grown (dead) rabbits, bringing them home for approval. We can walk 5 - 10 metres into our neighbours' place - rabbits. We can go out our gate onto the shared drive - rabbits. Not everyone will want 6 cats but I think they do make a difference. We tried pindone before we lived here - nothing touched it!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 2 months ago #326816 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Rabbit problem
Air rifle [;)] Much as I hate to admit it, its been really useful for rabbits and possums alike. I swear the critters now know to keep off our place as hubby is having to go further afield (with neighbours permission) to keep up practicing!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 2 months ago #326821 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Rabbit problem
Cats, Cats, Cats - we have one that lives on rabbits, comes home about once a week all fat and glossy, rarely have to feed her, good girl.[;)] :D
We have one that lives in the hay shed and lives on mice, good boy. [;)] :D
We have one that lives in the house and steals live mice from the one in the shed and brings them inside, she's [}:)]

No Rabbits on my place anymore.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds