LSB and full time work

More
14 years 2 months ago #22736 by BS Farming
Hi all, we are the new owners of 35 acres and are both working full time... How we are going to do it is beyond me...haha. Think it will be one of the biggest challenges but to be fair... bring it on I say!! Can't wait!!

Michelle & Gary
BS Farming :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #326172 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic LSB and full time work
Welcome BS Farming!
You can do it, a lot of us have done. Just keep it simple and pray for fine weather at the weekends.

Whereabouts in the Manawatu are you?

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 2 months ago #326190 by kate
Replied by kate on topic LSB and full time work
Hi Michelle & Gary and welcome to lsb :D

Trust me, we all know what you mean! It's hard work, particularly at first, but it's well worth it.

If you have anything we can help with just let us know.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 2 months ago #326199 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic LSB and full time work
Yep ...hard work but can be done ...we are onto our 4th or 5th LSB now :confused: and I only work part time these days (hubby still very much full time :( ...till retirement that is starting to loom[:0]) ...worth it tho.
What are you going to do on your LSB ?...that is a good size one for a starter :D ...Tell us all about it :p
Wecome to the LSB family BTW.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 2 months ago #326200 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic LSB and full time work
Welcome to the family BS Farming :)
Am sure you guys will work out the juggling act just fine :) and work and farm will run together nicely.

Feilding way here .. if ya ever need a hand on a weekend to get things done, just give me a yell and i can add an extra pair of hands if ya need it :)
For free of course ... i just understand trying to do it on your own :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #326205 by The Kats Place
welcome and good on you for having a go at it. personally myself after working and having the block for 2 years I decided to chuck in working (for wages) not as much cash coming in but far far happier here all day on my little slice of heaven

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #326299 by BS Farming
Replied by BS Farming on topic LSB and full time work
Thanks all for the replies, offers and enthusiasm. We are out in the metropolis of Halcombe.... :D Will keep you posted!!!

More
14 years 2 months ago #326315 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic LSB and full time work
Welcome to the world of the very busy and never bored :)

You'll be fine. Just don't take on too much, especially animals, and make sure you have facilities to take care of whatever you do have. Stuff like weeds or fences or the lawn whatever can always wait for another day but with stock welfare considerations come into play and that can lead to serious stress for all concerned if you're over committed. So ease into it gradually would be my advice.

hilldweller

More
14 years 2 months ago #326438 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic LSB and full time work
If you both have jobs that require full-time attendance, then I very, very strongly suggest that you keep well away from breeding. Sometimes, and only sometimes, calves can survive for 4 hours and lambs for 2 hours from the start of birthing, but they really should be out within 1 hour, and 20 minutes, respectively from when the waters break.

More
14 years 2 months ago #326542 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic LSB and full time work
hi BSfarming I am in Halcombe as well.
Welcome to the site.
I have wiltshires that self shed so very low maintenance so as long as the fences are good and you have yards go for it
I also have Belted Galloways 13 at the moment which i also breed. If you want to have a drive up stanway road they are in the front paddock at the moment feel free to drop in for a cuppa
contrary to above.. most farmers do not watch their stock 24/7 and most of mine seem to give birth at night or in the early morning, (so report me) but I leave it to them. when lambing they get checked before work and after and before bed.
Wiltis are hassle free lambers anyway.
I did have the pleasure of watching two of my galloways give birth in the afternoon with in a few minutes of eachother.
If you have a LSB and kids you need lambs
My only suggestion is take it slowly research what you want and ask lots of questions.
Totally vets are great

More
14 years 2 months ago #326765 by BS Farming
Replied by BS Farming on topic LSB and full time work
Thanks Kindajojo. My other half works out at Waituna West as a shepherd. He must be dedicated to work all day and come home and do it....haha!! We both have farming background and I am in the agriculture industry but having said that it is going to be a learning curve with the block and animals etc. We definitely aren't rushing into it.... Infact we have the greenest pastures with noooo stock!! (oh one horse!!)

More
14 years 2 months ago #326768 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic LSB and full time work
I don't know how we'd do it breeding sheep if we didn't have one of us on flexible work/work from home and able to rearrange workloads to suit...if we were both fulltime and set hours away from home, I don't think we'd be breeding any stock...:rolleyes: but there are people that manage it with help of neighbours etc...no one size fits all on LSBs...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #326782 by Ziggy
Replied by Ziggy on topic LSB and full time work
We have 60 acres and both work full time. I am lucky with my job that I can be a bit flexible etc but that is something that is good with kids, animals or any work life balance anyway. We breed cattle as well as sheep, check before and after work and if anything looks wrong we would sort something out. I really dont think that it is that much difference between 5 acres or 60 acres regarding workload.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds