Greenhorns

• Pete & Ange
12 years 2 months ago #22672 by Pete & Ange
Greenhorns was created by Pete & Ange
Hi all .... VERY new to all this ... have avoided things like this like the plague in the past !!! bit like "public speaking" I suppose only no one can see what your like and how bad you're sweating !!

Ange & I brought a bare block of 1.2ha last Oct and have been busy ever since !! Currently building a house ( about 3 - 4 weeks away from completion) and living in a caravan which is good but starting to chill down a bit of late.

Got 15 "Girls" all on the lay now which is great ... giving away just about all the "produce" so far but arn't they a great time waster !! Always wanted to "Grow" chooks and having come from the hustle & bustle of Auck (43yrs) it's just so cool to chill out.

Recently picked up 2 pigs ("Fisher" & "Paykel") - guess where they are headed !! Learning how and what to feed them which is a bit of a challenge ... (Hope I'm doing it right) .. but they seem happy enough.

Just completed about 350 mtrs of sheep fencing so I suppose that'll be the next purchase ... looking at about 6 which will keep the paddock down as well as feed the freezer, and leave me some to swap with the neighbour (along with some of the Pork) for his beef.

Look foward to posting some questions like .... my chooks seem to have a lice - when I pick them up and check out their bums I can actually see them ... what do I do ???? as well as "how do I know I'm feeding the pigs enough??? and Do the sheep need a shelter and if so what sort ???

Thanks for listening / reading and heres to "LIVING THE DREAM"

Peter & Ange "GREENHORNS"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325568 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Greenhorns
Hey P&A welcome to the site, you'll get lots of advice on here if you just keep asking questions.

Welcome to the '3 Acre Club' also, same as ours, a good size for a block if you don't want it to be a 'life sentence block' [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 2 months ago #325577 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Greenhorns
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of LSB. Congratulations on nearly moving into your new house, good timing before winter!

For the lice on those hens get some Pestene powder from the Farm store supplier in your area-or maybe a vet but it will be more expensive.

Hold each hen up by her legs and dust down into her 'bum fluff' making sure it gets in between the feathers. Then dust the nests as well. This should deal to them before winter, dust again in another 10 days to get the newly hatched lice which are eggs when you first dust.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325580 by Pete & Ange
Replied by Pete & Ange on topic Greenhorns
WOW ... Thanks for that Sue ... will get onto it on Monday !! and thanks for the "congrats" with the new house ... its really exciting ... not the first new house but the first one I've not had the hassle of building !!! Go GJ's - they are fantastic !!

"Green horn"
Pete & Ange, 15 Chooks, 2 pigs ("Fisher" & "Paykel") 2 Dogs, soon to have 6 sheep ..... oh & 4 kids + 3.5 grandkids[:)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #325583 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Greenhorns
Hi Peter & Ange and welcome to lsb :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 2 months ago #325596 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Greenhorns
And make sure you wear an adequate dust mask while you are dusting them. Pestene contains rotenone and sulphur, so it is very irritant if you breath it in and may be dangerous to people who have sulphur allergies..

The lonchocarpus plant from whence it is derived also contains a toxin called deguelin, which has been linked to Parkinsons, so do take care, read the instructions and wash face and hands thoroughly after use. It is also toxic to fish.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 2 months ago #325625 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Greenhorns

Pete & Ange;311675 wrote:
Do the sheep need a shelter and if so what sort ???

Hello and welcome. Sheep will benefit from shade in hot weather and shelter in cold wet windy weather. If you're planning on lambing it's a big help with survival rates. Shelter could be a shelter belt, an area of trees, low shrubby stuff (flax etc) the sheep can get in amongst, or some form of shed.

hilldweller

More
12 years 2 months ago #325643 by reggit
...or a Sheep Shack like we built, wooden framing and shadecloth over top and around the back [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 2 months ago #325774 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Greenhorns
I think that "Fly Strike Powder" can be used to control lice on hens. This does have maldison as the active ingredient.
I strongly recommend against "too much" shelter for sheep. Sheep were made to graze open plains, so if they hide from the sun they also hide from the wind .... and get flystrike .... so you will need some fly strike treatment for that, too.
As for pigs ..... our Miss Piggy loves apples, cake, donkey poo, but isn't too fussed on bananas. Also meat but it must be cooked. Miss Piggy loves rounding up sheep and can get through any fence, but won't do it properly when I want it done. She is starting to peeve me, so if major behavioual changes do not soon happen she might become Hamlet. And nuts ..... we had a good/the first hazel nut crop this year, but she soon sorted them out, and now the walnuts .....

More
12 years 2 months ago #325984 by Pete & Ange
Thanks everyone ... some really good info .

Will get onto the lice issue tomorrow and get that one sorted first. As for the sheep & their shelter I take on board the feedback of some but not too much. I was thinking of a "lean to" type structure that will get them out of the wind / rain / cold / sun (in summer) so that'll be project number 2 !!

Pigs .. well they seem just fine and eating heaps. Giving them the pellets, rehydrated peas, veges and apples .... there's never much left when I go back thats for sure !!

Thanks again everyone ....... one last thing .... is there someone out there that can help me get about an extra 5-6 hours in a day ?? I'D REALLY APPRECIATE THAT !!

"Green horn"
Pete & Ange, 15 Chooks, 2 pigs ("Fisher" & "Paykel") 2 Dogs, soon to have 6 sheep ..... oh & 4 kids + 3.5 grandkids[:)]

More
12 years 2 months ago #325988 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Greenhorns
:) Pete & Ange ... lol yeah know that feeling .... but don't worry :) it all works out ok in the end :)
Oh yeah ... welcome to the site by the way :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 2 months ago #325990 by reggit
PS shot of our Sheep Shack, we have only had to replace some of the shadecloth once since this was built 2 or so years ago. Mainly cos the animals start playing 'through' it :D

Do built it well though as far as the framing goes, and keep big steers away from it. Neighbour copied ours with, shall we say, lower quality construction techniques (hubby is a builder, and what he builds tends to stay built, no matter how basic the structure!) and the two steers destroyed it in less than a day [}:)]

PS on three acres you WILL eventually get to the point where you can relax with no pressing jobs. What we also learnt in our first couple of years is not to try and kill yourself getting everything done. Prioritise. As long as the animals are safe, happy and healthy, other stuff that fits into the 'making it look good' category isn't quite as urgent.

PPS we did pretty much the same as you, three months in a portacabin while we built. I can certainly imagine how much you are looking forward to moving out of the caravan!

More
12 years 2 months ago #325998 by Pete & Ange
Thanks Tigger ... might just copy that idea .... Assuming its not copyrited that is !!

As for the priorities ... understand fully... as you say so long as the animals are all happy and safe all is good - hence the reason I want the shelter before the sheep !! Actually that'll be another question for down the track .... how is the best way to start a flock ? Do I buy say 10 ewe lambs in Spring with a view of say 4 for the freezer at 12 months and then put a ram across the rest for year 2? My ideal (and the advice I've had) here is that that the land could sustain 6 fully grown sheep easily without overstressing it. I'm after a bit of a constant flow through the freezer as my neighbour grows GREAT beef and is definitely keen to "Trade" Beef for Lamb & Pork" ... should keep a growing lad growing !!

"Green horn"

More
12 years 2 months ago #326011 by reggit
First things first with sheep...make sure you have some way to hold them for all the bits and bobs you need to do with them - yards of some sort? A pen? And designed so you can get them into it easily...

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds