Bigger and Better?

More
12 years 2 months ago #22618 by Maree M
Bigger and Better? was created by Maree M
Hi all. My husband Brian and I have been lifestylers since 2002. We started off with a 7 acre block and ran the usual sheep and fattened a few beef cattle.

We have just sold that and purchased a 24 acre block - we feel like we're big time farmers now. But our new place is run down - most internal fencing is knackered, stock troughs are plastic drums cut in half, and the previous owner was a hoarder and we have a lot of junk to get rid of. We just love a challenge. The upside is we can make it our own, albeit with some major financial outlay.

First port of call is to regrass - the place was leased for a pasja crop by a neighbour before we moved in a month ago. So we can start with nice fresh pastures.

We plan on running a few ewes, so we have lambs to sell and some for the freezer. We are converting the old cow shed to a pig sty and will run a few pigs for ourselves. But will mostly run cattle - we think from our previous experience these will be easier to look after, given that we both have full-time jobs. And they have always proven to be relatively profitable for us.

I'm trying to research something else to run on the block to make some profit from - I've completed a plant propagating course and would love to pursue a horticultural venture. But I don't know what. It would be great to read about others experiences with lifestyle block based business - I'm trawling the forums looking for inspiration already.

Look forward to speaking with you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #324948 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Bigger and Better?
Welcome Maree, I am sure there will be many questions and no doubt you will also have some answers.
Congratulations on your new venture.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 2 months ago #325312 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bigger and Better?
Hi Maree, good luck on your plans. But ..... remember that it is illegal to sell meat to family, and illegal to trade or sell it to friends. Keep very, very quiet about that plan.

More
12 years 2 months ago #325326 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Bigger and Better?
Hi Maree and welcome to lsb :D

As LR said, it's illegal to sell homekill, even to family.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds