A newbie from Temuka

More
12 years 3 months ago #22435 by the-menagerie
Hi everyone, I didn't even know this place existed until someone suggested i come over here for some advice for my poor chook who got attacked by a dog today. Vet was able to stitch/staple the wound on her back, so fingers crossed she will recover. She is in a covered in dog crate with food, water and a heat pad under the straw. I was told to keep her in a warm, dark area for a while so she will be less stressed. Any other suggestions?
Yes, it was probably easier to knock her on the head and get two more, but Gladys is one of my girls and I just couldn't do that to her! I have 2 red/brown shavers; Gladys & Doris, 2 white shavers; Mavis & Phyllis and 2 black minorcas; Beatrice and Clarice. I'm hoping to get 2 blue girls of some variety soon.
We also have 5 dogs, 2 cats, a horse and 5 goldfish in an outside pond. hence the name - the-menagerie.

The Menagerie consists of Oskar, Keesha, Lukas, Chloe and Rufus the Basenjis; Riley the Thoroughbred; Gladys, Doris, Phyllis, Mavis, Beatrice and Clarice the chooks; Merlin and Smooch the cats and 5 unnamed goldfish. Oh and of course me and hubby [:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322902 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic A newbie from Temuka
Welcome to the site, the-menagerie, and good luck with your chook, sounds like you are doing all you can. Hopefully others will be along soon with any other advice they can offer...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 3 months ago #322913 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic A newbie from Temuka
welcome to the site The-Menagerie :) , am sure the chookie experts will be along soon to advise
I hope your chokkie comes out of this ok ... :) and yeah i know, there are times when shoot or knock on head just don't cut the mustard :( ... i exhaust every avenue my very limited budget will stretch to when one of my animals gets hurts

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #322928 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic A newbie from Temuka
I guess that you know that if your chook was on your property, then you can charge the vet bill to the dog owner.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322931 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic A newbie from Temuka
Hi and welcome the-menagarie and welcome to Chooks anonymous, you are not alone!

Your chook should be fine, they seem to heal with horrendous tears, even without vet assistance, so no doubt she has had antibiotic spray or dust in the wound too.

Just carry on as you are doing, offer her a bit of temmpting high protein food as well as her usual pellets. A bit of wet cat food, or mince or crumbled hard boiled egg wouldn't go amiss.

She probably doesn't need a heat pad, just a draught free, quiet place will do for a fully feathered chook in summer! She can have a peck around in the sunshine as long as other birds don't peck at her wound until it is healed properly.

The only danger is that the pressure of the dogs mouth hasn't caused internal damage or punctured the air sacs, which are extensions of the lungs just beneath the flesh around the body.

Feel free to ask any chooky related questions if you feel unsure.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322932 by Sue
Hi and welcome the-menagarie and welcome to Chooks anonymous, you are not alone!

Your chook should be fine, they seem to heal with horrendous tears, even without vet assistance, so no doubt she has had antibiotic spray or dust in the wound too.

Just carry on as you are doing, offer her a bit of temmpting high protein food as well as her usual pellets. A bit of wet cat food, or mince or crumbled hard boiled egg wouldn't go amiss.

She probably doesn't need a heat pad, just a draught free, quiet place will do for a fully feathered chook in summer! She can have a peck around in the sunshine as long as other birds don't peck at her wound until it is healed properly.

The only danger is that the pressure of the dogs mouth hasn't caused internal damage or punctured the air sacs, which are extensions of the lungs just beneath the flesh around the body.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322936 by kate
Replied by kate on topic A newbie from Temuka
Hi and welcome to lsb :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Gladys.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #322937 by the-menagerie
Replied by the-menagerie on topic A newbie from Temuka

LongRidge;308778 wrote: I guess that you know that if your chook was on your property, then you can charge the vet bill to the dog owner.

Um, it was one of my own dogs :( She was where she shouldn't be, as were the birds! It was just a really unfortunate accident.

The Menagerie consists of Oskar, Keesha, Lukas, Chloe and Rufus the Basenjis; Riley the Thoroughbred; Gladys, Doris, Phyllis, Mavis, Beatrice and Clarice the chooks; Merlin and Smooch the cats and 5 unnamed goldfish. Oh and of course me and hubby [:)]

More
12 years 3 months ago #322939 by the-menagerie

Sue;308782 wrote: Hi and welcome the-menagarie and welcome to Chooks anonymous, you are not alone!

It's really mild here tonight, so i will turn off the heat pad. I have got some dog roll for them, so will offer her some of that tomorrow for breakfast.
Will i need her to be fully healed before i can put her out with the others? Her and Doris are the 'top dogs' so will she return to that position?
And how will i know if any internal damage has been done?

More
12 years 3 months ago #323023 by Sandy77
Replied by Sandy77 on topic A newbie from Temuka
Hello , I hope Gladys will be ok.. Will The others peek at her wound if you put her back with the rest?? Chook experts will know the best solution .

All the best

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra
Mastiff breeds rescue and rehome charitable trust
Rescue coordinator and founder
mastiffbreedsrescueandrehome.webs.com/

More
12 years 3 months ago #323032 by the-menagerie
An update on Gladys - she survived the night, so it doesn't look like shock will kill her. I am surprised at the resilience of these birds! Both her and Doris laid eggs today! i thought they would have had a few days off given their terrifying experience yesterday.
Gladys is now set up in the laundry with her 'house' and a puppy pen so she has some space to move around. I have put some straw in the pen area, so she has something to scratch in. She is eating and drinking well. Loved the silverbeet i gave her for dinner!
Hopefully it will be warm enough that i can take her outside for a while tomorrow so she can have a scratch in the garden.
Will I have to wait for the wound to heal before i can put her back with the others?
I have a photo of her injury, but need to work out how to post it here.

More
12 years 3 months ago #323036 by the-menagerie

More
12 years 3 months ago #323037 by Sandy77
Replied by Sandy77 on topic A newbie from Temuka
:) Thats wonderful news . Im blown away also they laid eggs for you , They obviously take their jobs of egg layers very seriously :) [;)]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra
Mastiff breeds rescue and rehome charitable trust
Rescue coordinator and founder
mastiffbreedsrescueandrehome.webs.com/

More
12 years 3 months ago #323040 by Sue
I'd have to say the drainage tube is a bit excessive, and how does it drain upwards?!
The other birds would probably peck at that but leave the wound alone. So better not to let her in with them until it is removed
It looks fine and I have seen much worse tears that heal unstitched. As Gladys is top chook she will proably cope fine and if you could spray something bitter on it even better. Does she have to have stitches out or are they dissolving?

I would think another couple of days of TLC and she will be back to normal.

Sue

More
12 years 3 months ago #323041 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic A newbie from Temuka
Invoicing yourself is a wee bit of a hassle. My dog just about got invoiced and despatched this morning after getting a bit enthusiastic with a daft lamb. He's now on his final, final, final ..... etc ..... last warning. He loves chooks but fortunately for him we don't have any.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds