Hello from the Waikato

More
12 years 3 months ago #22380 by Sandy77
We own a small lifestyle property and run a small number of livestock aka pets LOL . Currently we have one miniature horse, Lucy aka Tank sheep , Boer x saanens , and full blood boer does which are going to a boer stud this weekend to become first time kidders :) .
We are also admirers, owners, breeders and exhibitors of the Majestic Dogue de Bordeaux breed .

www.dogs.net.au/frenchaffairkennels/

I look forward to reading more and getting to know others on this fantastic forum .

Kindest Regards
Sandra

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra
Mastiff breeds rescue and rehome charitable trust
Rescue coordinator and founder
mastiffbreedsrescueandrehome.webs.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322171 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hello from the Waikato
Hi Sandra and welcome to lsb :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 3 months ago #322175 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Hello from the Waikato
Welcome Sandy :)

Fascinating looking dogs, I don't think I've seen one like that before.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322181 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic Hello from the Waikato
Hi and welcome - what a neat looking dog - he looks somewhat contemplative in the photo

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322189 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from the Waikato
Hi Sandy. Have you bred goats before? We used to breed Boers, but when the buck went out this early the cold or the wet of spring killed the kids. If you know that you are going to have a warm, dry September then you might be OK, but the many years that I was in Thames there were few like that. Personally I would kid mid-October up there.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322202 by Sandy77
Replied by Sandy77 on topic Hello from the Waikato
Hello everyone and thank you for the welcome , I appreciate it .

Kate , Thankyou for the welcome , it looks like a great forum to be apart of .

Pumpinkgirl , They are also known as a French Mastiff . Made famous through the movie Turner & Hooch .
They are a smaller type of the Mastiff breed comparred to other ones.

ravenseyes , It is a breed that carries amazing expression in their faces and eyes. The one on the first page on my website is my old adored girl Justice . A breed I can not never see myself with out :)

LongRidge , No , this is the first time we have decided to breed our girls and have been in contact with a breeder in the area as like you say some goats do better to kid at certain times of year .We thought also been they hadnt been to the buck before , and as they are so friendly and do a couple of the signs of season a lot of the time LOL that the first cycle maybe a bit of a practice run . Did you find a certain percentage got in kid on their first cycle ? Im paying pretty good money for the service of the billy so would like to make sure I make the right choices for my girls and their kids in the end .As it was it took some time for me to find a boer billy I was happy with lol , .Thankyou for your advice and I will be talking more with the Stud owner . Do you still breed Boer's? Was it the traditional , or the reds that you preferred ?

Kindest Regards
Sandra

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra

More
12 years 3 months ago #322209 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Hello from the Waikato
Welcome Sandra ...your dogs are beautiful :D :D :D ...I am a sucker for animals too and am owned by many[;)]
I'm sure you will enjoy being part of the LSB Family :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 3 months ago #322217 by Sandy77
Thankyou Terralee for your kind comments . I call my dogs My big red slobber kids : ) They are all my babies lol
Kindest Regards
Sandra

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra

More
12 years 3 months ago #322222 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Hello from the Waikato
Hi Sandy and welcome "A life without a dog aint a life at all" and we know as we have "some":):D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 3 months ago #322227 by Sandy77
Hi Sod , thank you for the welcome . That saying is very true . We do a lot of rescue work for the mastiff breeds . When we find the right loving forever home ,watch the dog and new owners bond and become one big happy family then hear them say they couldnt be with out their dog now because life just wouldnt be the same . That saying says it all ...

What breed of dogs do you have the pleasure of owning ?

My breed of choice isnt everyone's but I absolutly adore their nature, temperament and look and find a lot of pleasure in owing them . : )

Kindest Regards
Sandra

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra

More
12 years 3 months ago #322232 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Hello from the Waikato
With goats, with a bit of effort you can get the does to all kid on the same day. They get turned on by the smell of the buck, so if you get the bucks owner to rub him down with an old towel to get as much of the smell onto the towel, then hang the towel upwind of where the does are (so the wind blows the smell towards the does) for about a week before putting the buck in with them, then both does are likely to be mated on the same day, and will kid on the same day. With goats, we haven't noticed any difference between singles and twins with regard to which cycle she was mated. Mostly our Boers had twins, a very few had singles and they tended to always have singles, some had triplets. We've never had quads, but they are moderately common.
At kidding, goats are way different to sheep at lambing. The does go a little way away from the mob, usually just before dawn (hence the need for no frost, or the first one out gets chilled while the second is coming), have the kids, suckle them, park them up and go away for 4 or 5 hours to graze. In a big mob, all the kids get parked up together and one doe stays behind to nanny them. The does then come back, find their kids and feed them.

More
12 years 3 months ago #322250 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Hello from the Waikato
:) Welcome Sandy :)
lol i know what you mean about "Babbies, and kids" lol 2 Akitas here that are sure they are humans :)
I reckon they only let me Live here ... cause i can open the Dog Food fridge and they cant lol :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #322260 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Hello from the Waikato
Sandy this is 4 of the 5 we have 1 Rotty mother( Angel) her 2 kids Teddy Bear and Violet and Meg my"working Heading dog :rolleyes:

Mum at door Violet by her Teddy in doorway and mighy Meg at the back

Attached files
File Attachment:

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 3 months ago #322261 by Sandy77
Hello ,
Thankyou LongRidge for your advice and information. It is appreciated .

LOL Stu you better hope they dont learn how to open the fridge or you will be made redundant LOL

Sod, Thanks heaps for sharing the photo , what a lovely family you have there .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kindest Regards
Sandra

More
12 years 3 months ago #322283 by Lakeview Poultry
Hello everyone!

Just joined a few minutes ago, really looking forward to talking with like minded country folk. :D

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds