Flies? Here's a tip.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22119 by Pest Advice
Hi,

Have you got a lot of flies about the sitting room? Here is a tip a pest control professional would not tell you.

Many fly species hate moving air flows. An oscillating fan can give good reduction of flies in an affected room.

Ooooops! I am a pest control professional!

I will say that moving air is not a total solution. It helps to use a surface spray insecticide or natural pyrethrum aerosol dispenser.

How many people use Robocan, AutoCan, Raid, Ecomist, Ultrapel or other automatic dispenser units? How many are situated near kitchen areas?

The Pest Advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #319289 by smurfette
Replied by smurfette on topic Flies? Here's a tip.
I have an Ecomist dispenser in my lounge and another one in the far end of the hallway. I wouldn't put one near the kitchen as it would probably settle on food and utencils that hang on the wall ( for the flys to poop on)lol, and also because we used to have goldfish on the breakfast bar and didn't want them to get the spray.

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

More
13 years 9 months ago #319290 by smurfette
Hey again. Can we put them in the chicken coop? lol, lots of flies out there. :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #319319 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Flies? Here's a tip.

smurfette;304777 wrote: I have an Ecomist dispenser in my lounge and another one in the far end of the hallway. I wouldn't put one near the kitchen as it would probably settle on food and utencils that hang on the wall ( for the flys to poop on)lol, and also because we used to have goldfish on the breakfast bar and didn't want them to get the spray.

smurfette;304778 wrote: Hey again. Can we put them in the chicken coop? lol, lots of flies out there. :)

You don't put an insecticide dispenser in your kitchen area but are considering putting one in your chickens' living and food production area. Run that past me again :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 9 months ago #319331 by smurfette
I was only joking, but maybe I should put and oscillating fan in there instead?....and blow them all out.... :0 :) :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #319332 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Flies? Here's a tip.
Pest thanks for that last night we put fan on in office area to cool down and now I read your post realised that there were no flys in there so on go the fans Thanks again :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #319354 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic Flies? Here's a tip.
Pest, we open our back door to let the air flow through the house. Great for air circulation. Also we have our windows open. Also great for air circulation. BUT. In come the flies and even with all the air circulation the flies keep on coming. What are we missing here?

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
13 years 9 months ago #319384 by Pest Advice
Replied by Pest Advice on topic Flies? Here's a tip.
Hi Goatmama,

Yes. Opening the doors and windows for the airflow will le the flies in. This is why I suggested that an oscillating fan gives airflow without opening so many doors and windows. The airfloww needs to be quite high on surfaces where the flies would alight. And, sadly, it doesn't work for all fly species.

goatmama;304846 wrote: Pest, we open our back door to let the air flow through the house. Great for air circulation. Also we have our windows open. Also great for air circulation. BUT. In come the flies and even with all the air circulation the flies keep on coming. What are we missing here?

The Pest Advice

More
13 years 9 months ago #319400 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic Flies? Here's a tip.

Pest Advice;304616 wrote:
How many people use Robocan, AutoCan, Raid, Ecomist, Ultrapel or other automatic dispenser units? How many are situated near kitchen areas?

I have Mortein in a kitchen area. Its on top of a 2m cupboard. Any issues I should be aware of? The offical precautions state

Precautions: If surfaces become slippery underneath the system, clean with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. Avoid placing the system directly above delicate fabrics or furnishings and plastic surfaces including TVs or similar. Avoid spraying over high traffic carpeted areas.

It mentions that recommended use is away from immediate food preparation, children activity and pet sleeping areas, but if it was hazardous I woudl have expected that to be listed i the precautions.

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

More
13 years 8 months ago #320389 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Flies? Here's a tip.
The farm I grew up on we used natural fly traps. These are super easy to make and the flys (black and horse) both love this.

1. Get a gallon glass jar with a nice tin or aluminum lid (screw on is best). This can also be plastic but glass is reusable... some pesticides react with plastic and go toxic so glass is always best. But if you have old condiment containers they work too... just reduce the amount of liver you use.
2. Get a pound of beef & chicken liver, cut into medium size chunks
3. 1 cup of Neem oil or your favourite pesticide.

Punch holes in your lid, from 1 cm to about 3 cm in size. Add the meat with the neem oil and coat. Let it sit in the sun for 5 days before putting where you need it.

The flies will love and you fill it in about a month. We used to have these all over the place but for places where kids and animals would play, we used teatree oil.

Here is a good link for home remedies:
www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/natural-pest-controls.html

Coming over with: The wife - Nikki, Cinder the Dog, Wally & Puff English Bombay brothers, and Little the Egyptian Mau. Always remembering Helo, our Bengal Cat who passed before his due...

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds