Stunned Mullet!

• Elkrab
12 years 5 months ago #21664 by Elkrab
Stunned Mullet! was created by Elkrab
OK, so we have been on our slice of LSB paradise (2.4 acres), for about a month now and I have suddenly related to one set of animals enough to venture onto this part of the website.

Yesterday we got some ex-battery hens and they resemble us to a tee! They are standing in the middle of new wild open spaces, looking like stunned mullets, thinking OMG, and looking a bit gob smacked......a bit like we have felt lol.

But like us I am sure they will soon learn to sit on the perch, lay in the right place, eat fresh food, and be nice to the neighbours....well you know what I mean.

Am finding the search engine fantastic and always enjoy the forum.

Have met some great neighbours both locally and on the forum (big thanks to MiketheBike for a coffee and tour the other day!), and am picking up new skills all the time.

Have made some great discoveries...like water in troughs go green, hawthorn trees do not mix with ride-on tyres, a pig in heat is scarier than my wife when I am late home, sheep are mad, chickens are thick, and more comes out of a rabbit than goes in.

So the total is me, the missus, the three kids, 4 dogs, 2 sheep, 6 chickens, 5 bantams, 9 rabbits (on loan), and 1 walking pile of pork sausages....or soon will be.

I still have no idea what I am doing, but nothing has died, the animals look ok, and I haven't burnt anything down or blown anything up........yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313616 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Stunned Mullet!
Welcome!
I love your comment re: rabbits!
It sounds like you are doing well - for a stunned mullet.[;)]

• Elkrab
12 years 5 months ago #313620 by Elkrab
Replied by Elkrab on topic Stunned Mullet!

Hawkspur;298516 wrote: Welcome!
I love your comment re: rabbits!
It sounds like you are doing well - for a stunned mullet.[;)]

It has put me off chocolate peanuts for life....which may not be a bad thing!;)

More
12 years 5 months ago #313689 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Stunned Mullet!
One of the things about farming is that every year is different, so knowing nothing is fine. BUT .... every effort must be made to avoid avoidable incidents, ie learn from other peoples mistakes and not your own, and if you do make a mistake, never make it again. Your animals, and the law, requires that of you.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313935 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Stunned Mullet!
Lovely analogy Elkrab. Welcome to the site.

hilldweller

• Elkrab
12 years 5 months ago #313997 by Elkrab
Replied by Elkrab on topic Stunned Mullet!

LongRidge;298593 wrote: One of the things about farming is that every year is different, so knowing nothing is fine. BUT .... every effort must be made to avoid avoidable incidents, ie learn from other peoples mistakes and not your own, and if you do make a mistake, never make it again. Your animals, and the law, requires that of you.

Could actually apply to everything from raising kids to working at your job. I figure the LSB experience just throws several new challenges at you and its nice to know there is positive help out there.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313998 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Stunned Mullet!
Welcome Elkrab!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 5 months ago #314310 by robbie88
Replied by robbie88 on topic Stunned Mullet!
Welcome Elkrab
We too can relate to posting. We are nearly 4 years on our piece of Paradise and for the first 2years we were like "stunned mullett'. It has been a fantastic learning experience and continueing by the day.
We loook forward to the progress.

Rob

More
12 years 5 months ago #314499 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Stunned Mullet!
Agreed Elkrab the damn law keeps us all in line whatever we undertake. Welcome and I am tickled to have the author of such entertaining prose on board ;)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds