A bit about me

More
14 years 5 months ago #21648 by optrex
A bit about me was created by optrex
Hello everyone,

I am optrex, I am in Canterbury and have recently moved out to a old property with a 1500m2 section. The lifestyle choice is totally new to me and in the 3 months I've been living in my property, I've learnt how to mow lawns, fix fences and cut hedges. Petrol power tools feature heavily in my list of new toys. The closest I have got before is a 1300w electric flymow :D

I have a barred rock hen with 6, 11 week old chicks and a light sussex hen with 7, 3 week old chicks to add to the 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 kids. Having moved to NZ from the UK 16 months ago, life is a little different to how it used to be :p

Other hobbies are the weather. Due to the tight bio security, I didn't bring my weather station, but I do hope to have it replaced at some point to provide local weather data. I run several weather websites, the main ones serving the UK and NZ. Both were based around the vbulletin platform but have recently moved to IPB. Membership base totals around 2500 members. I also host the NZ Weather Network which is a map of personal weather stations dotted around the country, the site provides visitors with live weather information in a graphical format.

I look forward to participating on LSB and seeing what it has to offer. It looks like Kate has done a mighty fine job in running the site and the forum, so chatting with my new found community should help me settle into my new way of life a little more quickly.

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #313428 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic A bit about me
Welcome Optrex.

I have often been told NZ is the most weather-obsessed country in the world, so you've made a good choice moving here :D

More
14 years 5 months ago #313433 by sod
Replied by sod on topic A bit about me
Hi and welcome beware on here are some mad chicken people :D lol wow you are up on the weather things me I look out window and guess :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 5 months ago #313440 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic A bit about me
Hello Optrex and welcome to the forum :)

As it happens, I also have a weather station and use Brian Hamilton's Weather Display (WD) program to communicate with it. As you no doubt know, WD has various FTP functions, so I use those to share my weather data with others via the Weather Underground website, and also via my own site, as you can see from my signature.

I am not sure if WD supports the NZ Weather Network :confused:

If it does, I would be happy to participate.

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 5 months ago #313441 by Rata
Replied by Rata on topic A bit about me
What a fantastic site Optrex. I can't believe how weather obsessed I have become in the last nine months.

We only have a wedge rainguage, and a few max-min thermometers kicking round that we forget to reset, so can't really add anythig useful to your observations.

More
14 years 5 months ago #313444 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic A bit about me
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

GrantK;298321 wrote:
I am not sure if WD supports the NZ Weather Network :confused:
If it does, I would be happy to participate.

Cheers Grant, yes NZWN supports the WD client. I can pull your clientraw.txt file across if you publish one. Just get in touch and I'd be happy to add you to the map

Rata;298322 wrote: What a fantastic site Optrex. I can't believe how weather obsessed I have become in the last nine months.
We only have a wedge rainguage, and a few max-min thermometers kicking round that we forget to reset, so can't really add anythig useful to your observations.

Ah ha, tell me about it. It does seem the UK and NZ share a passion for the weather. And don't tell me a look out of the window is not useful, because you are wrong ;) Its how I currently post my weather reports :D

Anyway, glad to see we have plenty of chicken mad people to guide me along my way. I say to the guys at work, in my old job everyone used to compare the latest gadgets and phones. In this place everyone compares their newest chooks and the number of fertile eggs they have. Its a different world :cool:

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

More
14 years 5 months ago #313446 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic A bit about me

optrex;298325 wrote: Its a different world :cool:

But one we all choose to live in :D

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 5 months ago #313499 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic A bit about me
Welcome, optrex! I've always enjoyed observing the weather, wherever I've lived, but since emigrating to New Zealand more than 7 years ago (from the US), I have also become weather-obsessed! I haven't been disciplined enough to do more than record highs, lows and precip, but I hope to have more weather gear in the not-too-distant future. Would love an anemometer especially, with the winds we get here.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 5 months ago #313509 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic A bit about me
Welcome Optrex

If you like weather, you'll LOVE Canterbury. We can have four seasons in one day. The sky can be black and hailing on one side of the property, and hot with bright sunshine on the other.

Have you become familiar with our famous Nor-West arch yet? It's still a bit of a mystery to me, but friends who grew up in Christchurch can see one and predict - almost to the minute - when it will start/stop raining.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 5 months ago #313511 by kate
Replied by kate on topic A bit about me
Hi Optrex and welcome to lsb :D :D

I can see we're going to need a weather station here when we get sorted. I think everyone with land becomes weather obsessed. Back in the UK I used to wonder why farmers were always complaining about too little or too much rain....now I do the same [:I]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #313595 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic A bit about me
Welcome optrex,
Seems you have discovered man's biggest secret- using petrol powered tools is actually fun. We are trying to keep that one under wraps least these tasks are taken from us and we actually have to do some real work :(
Good luck with your block, a nice starter size to enjoy :)

What's that I just stepped in?

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds