OK, so now we know there's no RED Boer goat people on here,

More
12 years 5 months ago #21647 by boerred
There must be Boer goat bods on LSB - surely? I can't be the only Red Boer owner in the country but at the moment I feel oh so lonely LOL :D Would like to chat to other Boer people?

2 Burmese cats (Mr Brown & Minerva), 2 Irish Setters (Rosie & Kirsten), 5 English Setters (Crystal, Holly, Summer & her son Moss & daughter Pansy), 4 stud red Boer goats (Charlie, Fudge, Merlot, her kids Shiraz & Chianti & traditionals Gorgeous & Polly), Boer Marmite, , 1 pony brood mare Ataahua...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313423 by Pumpkingirl
I must confess, I didn't even know you could get red boers.

There's lots of us goat people on here, but I've never heard anyone mention red boers in particular (and we do tend to talk a lot about our goats!).

I have two "ordinary" boers, Brian the wether (4) and Emme the Fat doe (10) but they don't do a lot of talking, mostly just eating :D

More
12 years 5 months ago #313450 by boerred
Oh yes - red Boers pop up in registered studs - that's how I got my present 3 does. Genetically the Boer carries red so it's a bit silly for some breeders to turn their noses up at them - & they do, believe me! I've had some strange remarks made about red Boers LOL![:0]
They have show classes for red Boers in the North Island, but not down here - not that I want to show as mine are unregistered - but it would be nice to go and see some in a group, so to speak.
We used to run 150 Angoras but it got a bit much when hubby's health went down the drain, but I love goats & I decided to get Boers. The girls are great - the buck didn't have a happy life before I got him & he's a bit weird with people, but he's a grand type of Boer & I hope will leave me some nice red kids.

2 Burmese cats (Mr Brown & Minerva), 2 Irish Setters (Rosie & Kirsten), 5 English Setters (Crystal, Holly, Summer & her son Moss & daughter Pansy), 4 stud red Boer goats (Charlie, Fudge, Merlot, her kids Shiraz & Chianti & traditionals Gorgeous & Polly), Boer Marmite, , 1 pony brood mare Ataahua...

More
12 years 5 months ago #313464 by Andrea1
boerred, have PMed you about some red does.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 5 months ago #313480 by LongRidge
We tried running Boers for many years, and still have about 15, but they don't mix well with sheep, and have terrible hoof problems on our place.
Another problem is that they have to go via Marton in the North Island on their way to their OE. They lose a couple of kg on that trip, and also the freezing works gets ours mixed up with other goat suppliers. With the last kill, the freezing works were going to pay us 25% less than we should have been paid. We weigh everything off the property, and some of the kill figures showed that some of the goats killed out at 60% and others at 30%, with the heavy ones being too heavy and the light ones too light. Needless to say, those were not our goats.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313490 by boerred
Yes, I know all about that sort of thing! With the Angoras, we used to have a tussle with PPCS down in Timaru just about every time we sent goats to the works. We'd have them in really good condition & back would come "pneumonia" on 3-4 goats[:0] - had to really get stroppy asking for the vet reports & in the end - no reports & a garbled message about a mixup with someone else's goats, followed by a nice cheque :D . They kept trying it on. We MAY have been "lifestylers" (why is that a dirty word in some circles LOL?) but I did know when we were being shafted...

More
12 years 5 months ago #313492 by boerred

Andrea;298350 wrote: boerred, have PMed you about some red does.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

Have PMed you - hopeful?
Pat

More
12 years 5 months ago #313493 by boerred
I have a photo album now (lord, I hope it works!) with pics of my red Boer buck. He's rising 3. Red Boer colour ranges from almost plum maroon through to a toffee colour - all with or without white markings. Whole red colour is preferred but mine aren't show stock. Some of mine have a lot of cashmere undercoat in winter & look silver.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313496 by Stu_R
He is a great looking boy boerred
I have not seen any like him befor .. i like him :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #313502 by Westie
Boer goats were top of my goat list, and when I get the fencing up to a good standard 3-4 will be sought.
Reading all the stories about goat problems and trials is a bit disturbing. Better to know and be prepared than not I guess.
I came to the decision about Boers as a source of dog meat because I am vego and also hate the milk and cheese[:0]
But want the weedeater qualities.
The square eyeballs kinda freak me out though....
Boer reds look nice. Nice pictures as well Boerred :)

Tell me, because the Boer goats are a lot heavier than milking and billy type goats, do they jump less, or with less height because of the extra weight they carry??

What's that I just stepped in?

More
12 years 5 months ago #313523 by boerred
Benson IS a grand looking goat - just wish he was less wary!
My goats are behind standard sheep netting & I don't have problems. They don't jump, but my Angoras used to push fences testing them! BUT the kids will sometimes hop between the wires which does cause a spot of bother with the Setters, if they happen to pop up into the house paddock. Haven't had any disasters yet (cross fingers!) but will be putting up chicken netting to ensure a kidproof fence - LOL, can there be such a thing? It's all a matter of finances here :D

More
12 years 5 months ago #313555 by LongRidge
Our Boers don't tend to jump, unless they have "gone feral"and learnt how to jump over obstructions to get to better pasture. Ours are pushers though, so the wires have to be tight and the battens tight, or better still use netting, preferably "pig" dimensions.
Our Boers were much smaller than some woolies that we had, but more heavy.
If I had clear/clean pasture ie no gorse or barberry, good winter shelter, and a goat shearer, I would almost be tempted to get into woolies because with them you can get quite a good income from shearing the fleece. But old ones get too long for freezing works, so have to become dog food.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313585 by boerred
I did love having the Angoras but they were very labour intensive & the fibre sorting just didn't, in the end, work with my arthritic hands. They were very easy to handle including my bucks & the kids were great timewasters! We got out a bit before the prices came up - would like to have them again but it's just not possible now. My Boers are quite different in temperament too - a bit "harder" than the Angoras, will face up to the Setters through the fences LOL, but accept my cats which the Angoras flatly refused to do - the does would have killed them if they could have caught them in the paddock - Sherpa is a great rabbitter!

More
12 years 5 months ago #313593 by sundaysbest
Got some pics of your lot?? I've never seen a red Boer! I have two looooovely Boers, Butters and Pumpkin. They are wonderful pets with a purpose :)
Sundays

More
12 years 5 months ago #313599 by Westie
From the goat study I have done so far (bleedin' internet expert-[^]) my summary of Boar Vs other domesticated is they are a bit more sturdy and robust, less hoof woes, easy breeders - Am I on the right track?

But there was no information on their jumping habits- cheers for that info.

What's that I just stepped in?

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds